44 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Edited Sep 27, 2009, 13:53
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 27 September 2009 CE
Sep 27, 2009, 13:48
Gong '2032' - what a disappointment. I've played this four times now and, though I liked it the first time, have cared less for it each time thereafter. Okay, so Gong had to update their sound, but in doing so they've lost every bit of the distinctiveness and danger that made records like 'You' so exciting. Ultimately, they've made a beautifully produced contemporary pop record that has no dynamism or substance. I feel really let down by this;

The Beatles 'Revolver' - the rule book for all subsequent rock and roll. 'Yellow Submarine' excepted, nigh-on perfect;

Spontaneous Music Ensemble 'Karyobin' - free jazz of such real invention that it's easy to imagine tunes amidst the gentle melee. Genuinely charming stuff, sounding as fresh as the day it was minted back in February 1968;

John Coltrane 'Coltrane' - this first Impulse! album by the classic quartet remains my favourite, even above the (somewhat overrated, I reckon) 'A Love Supreme';

Loop 'Fade Out' - sounding great in its recent expanded remaster, this is repetition turned into an art form. Love it;

I also knocked up a CD of all 23 (non-'Anthology') George Harrison songs recorded by The Beatles. It's a belting disc: try it!

Love, peace and good vibes to all

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index