Unsung Forum »
Black Sheep @ the Bristol Festival

109 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Black Sheep @ the Bristol Festival
Sep 22, 2009, 15:28
Sounds like a 'you had to be there' thing. I'm quite into the Black Sheep/KMSA stuff but I can understand why it can be as off putting to some as it is engaging to others.

The one 'Cope-ular' element I'm missing more than melody and song structure from all this Black Sheep stuff is Julian's sense of humour. I was listening to a bootleg of one of his solo tours from years gone and the intersong banter was really engaging and funny. I understand that the Black Sheep thing is supposed to evoke a sense of protest and rage, and I can hardly blame anyone for taking that path in this day and age. But I do miss the more absurd side of Cope at the moment. On the busking tour bits I saw there was a bit of the 'Old Julian' bantering with the folk in attendance, but it's missing from the music at the moment.

Still, I guess he is attempting to highlight issues and point people in the directions of alternative modes of thought and behaviour, which is at least a bit more than the plain "Wuaaaaaaargh!!" misanthropy and nihilism that pervades other music I like. Mind you, it IS fun listening to an unholy racket even if the lyrics were saying "I hate skimmed milk" or something equally banal.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index