Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Black Sheep @ the Bristol Festival
Sep 21, 2009, 19:49
Ziggypop wrote:
suave harv wrote:
Ziggypop wrote:
I don't think Julian is serious with this "project" and that's the way we should receive it. I enjoyed it personally and looking around at the laughter in the small crowd mabey they got the joke more than people closest to it...

So *that's* it. The people who thought it was tuneless rubbish just didn't get the joke.

Perhaps you can explain the joke for them? Then, next time, they'll be able to enjoy it like you did.

I don't really have the time or inclination to explain how I feel or understand the music that I listen to but in this case I'll just post a Quote from Mr Cope himself and you can read into it what you wish-

My favourite album would be a sonically-unbalanced Detroit-sounding, guitar-heavy, on-the-one righteous freakout played by great looking guys who aimed at a Forward-thinking Motherfucker Utopian stance. A cross between the Plastic Ono Band/MC5/Ash Ra Tempel/Funkadelic and wearing warpaint/woad/glam-make up. Their lead singer would physically have to be somewhere between Damo/Iggy/David Lee Roth and sound like all of the above combined with Rob Tyner, John Garner and Dick Peterson, and he would be platform-booted or barefoot. Their stance would have to be outwardly throwaway and unserious, yet their inner-trip would have to secretly believe that their music was gonna kick all the self-righteous Protestant/ Cromwellian/Roundheaded/Stalinist/Fatherland Cocksuckers into Hyperspace. Groups have got close to this several times. How I love them for even trying. I get down on my knees and thank the sun for rising every time I discover more of such upwardly-aiming Heathen Schtompf.

Hah! You are julian Cope and I claim my £5.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index