Unsung Forum »
Black Sheep @ the Bristol Festival

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9043 posts

Re: Black Sheep @ the Bristol Festival
Sep 21, 2009, 18:36
They probably feel disappointed that it didn't quite live up to expectation. There was probably some effort to getting there to see him, especially.

Following the Black Sheep 'Ni Dios Ni Amo' evening where I hear Julian had personally kept a low profile - thus allowing attention to be focused more on his collaborators - And then, of course, that (Latitude?) festival appearance where the plug was pulled, they just wanted to see a big, proper Julian Cope gig. It has been a while, after all.

Speaking for myself, I'm certainly ready to see him playing live again.
MARTASE
MARTASE
602 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 18:40
True. If I'd made it I'd probably feel differently- but people should've kind of known what to expect artistically if not technically.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2009, 18:49
Re: A big turn off
Sep 21, 2009, 18:46
Firstly, let me say that I have no objection to Julian doing this sort of stuff - I'd hate to see him compromising what he wants/needs to do - even tho I haveta say last night's show 'left me behind' & left me pretty cold.

I agree with Landells that there were a few bits that got at least vaguely interesting (& agree with his description generally) but would add that they were relatively few & far between for me. I'd also say that I found it (mostly) probably even less accessible than the BBC session which I very much struggled with....

I certainly wouldn't disagree with Keith that some of the stuff he's produced lately has been great (tho not all of KMSA by any means lights my candle). But I absolutely love Black Sheep & the Unruly Imagination. One trouble is, he didn't play any of that stuff!

As peeps have said, musically, it's all down to personal taste & I'm quite happy to wait for him to get back to something I do like. Trouble is, it's not always easy to tell when that'll be when he's producing so much stuff & then playing summat different live anyway!!! And that can result in disappointment/waste of time & money etc.

So I could understand it if people were pissed off coz they'd spent a lot of limited money/time getting there. For us it was a tenner each & an hour & a bit drive each way, but we also got to visit J's daughter Clee in her 1st weekend at UWE & see folk we love. Which is fine. But if I'd travelled further, paid for a hotel etc, etc....

love

Moth
Kid Calamity
9043 posts

WE WANT COPE!
Sep 21, 2009, 19:00
I've not seen him perform live for yonks. And, let's face it live appearances have been a bit thin on the ground, of late. He's had a bit of bad luck with those that he has arranged, on top of it all. The big shindig on the South Bank being pulled at the last minute - and of course there was those other dates that I've already mentioned, that fell into disarray.

The unplugged outdoor 'Black Sheep' tour of monuments, however, was a fantastic idea - AND DID WORK. I've seen lots of footage by friends and fans online. Hats off! But many of us couldn't get to a lot of the locations as it occured during working hours and most of us had little idea of the band's ETA at most sites.

Let's not forget, however, that his recorded output is at a prolific all time high!
keith a
9570 posts

Re: A big turn off
Sep 21, 2009, 19:05
Thanks for that, Moth. TBH I was hoping you'd respond because you were at the Liverpool gig I mentioned and I'm pretty sure you enjoyed the embryonic BS section, so I was interested in your take on this gig.

All those acoustic guitars sounded great live when they were serving songs like Come The Revolution and 'Blowingthemselvesup...' Seems kind of a shame that he's not continuing in that direction then (live at least - the Christophe F set is very much song-based).

I say this, of course, as someone who is an unashamed pop tart!
Ziggypop
Ziggypop
300 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 19:08
MARTASE wrote:
Right on.

Thankyou Martase. Now Suave how do you think I would get close to explaining that to a bunch of people that were at the gig to hear WSYM and a bunch of Teardrop songs?
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 19:10
Aye, I can understand you thinking like that. At the Latitude show last year, the tech problems/plug-pulling pretty much ruined it & probably made it hard for people that aren't pretty into Julian to enjoy it. Personally, knowing exactly what happened, I think he handled it pretty well.

But last night, speaking for myself, altho I had sympathy for the tech problems & they were a bummer, they were fairly brief & for me weren't really a problem. Of course, if they affected the performance in ways I don't know, fair eough....

We're just saying that we didn't enjoy the show & exploring thoughts about it. Above all for me (& I think, for Jane) it seems a shame that esp at a time that Julian has some important messages to put across, he's doing it in a spectacularly esoteric way that will undoubtedly hugely limit his audience for those messages.

love

Moth
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 19:17
Moth, could i beg your indulgence a moment? What were the important messages that Julian was trying to convey? Were these messages unique to him?
Regards. Dodge One
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 19:45
There are a few comments coming from people who weren't there too! Me included...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 19:49
Ziggypop wrote:
suave harv wrote:
Ziggypop wrote:
I don't think Julian is serious with this "project" and that's the way we should receive it. I enjoyed it personally and looking around at the laughter in the small crowd mabey they got the joke more than people closest to it...

So *that's* it. The people who thought it was tuneless rubbish just didn't get the joke.

Perhaps you can explain the joke for them? Then, next time, they'll be able to enjoy it like you did.

I don't really have the time or inclination to explain how I feel or understand the music that I listen to but in this case I'll just post a Quote from Mr Cope himself and you can read into it what you wish-

My favourite album would be a sonically-unbalanced Detroit-sounding, guitar-heavy, on-the-one righteous freakout played by great looking guys who aimed at a Forward-thinking Motherfucker Utopian stance. A cross between the Plastic Ono Band/MC5/Ash Ra Tempel/Funkadelic and wearing warpaint/woad/glam-make up. Their lead singer would physically have to be somewhere between Damo/Iggy/David Lee Roth and sound like all of the above combined with Rob Tyner, John Garner and Dick Peterson, and he would be platform-booted or barefoot. Their stance would have to be outwardly throwaway and unserious, yet their inner-trip would have to secretly believe that their music was gonna kick all the self-righteous Protestant/ Cromwellian/Roundheaded/Stalinist/Fatherland Cocksuckers into Hyperspace. Groups have got close to this several times. How I love them for even trying. I get down on my knees and thank the sun for rising every time I discover more of such upwardly-aiming Heathen Schtompf.

Hah! You are julian Cope and I claim my £5.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index