Black Sheep @ the Bristol Festival

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9570 posts

Re: A big turn off
Sep 21, 2009, 15:02
dodge one wrote:
Jane, don't feel that you should apologize. I have found Julian's catalog virtually un-listenable after INTERPRETOR. I gave up at Dark Orgasm/Citizen Cained. It just seems so un-seemly to see a guy in his fifties in a stormtrooper hat playing.....{i don't know what the hell to call it}. He really needs to grab a Martin guitar and get organic again. The mans voice is his instrument. And personally speaking.....i've no more interest in ODINism or "Blowing themselves up Mother-Fuckers", than i do in watching 'Reality' TV.

I know where you're coming from, D1, as I'm one of the 'old' fans here. And one who likes a good toon at that!

BUT...I think Julian is releasing some really good stuff at the moment.

As I've mentioned previously, last years Black Sheep double set was his best album in years for me. There are some genuinely GREAT tracks on this one.

The Black Sheep 7" at the end of last year was great, too. Well worth getting The Unruly Imagination set for these tracks, though this is admittedly a bit patchy at times.

And the recent Kiss My Sweet Apocalypse has some great stuff. Unfortunately, it's spread a bit thinly across two different releases, but if the best stuff on the cd and vinyl were put onto one edition then it'd be a damn fine set. Obviously hearing grown men shout 'War...Peace' for what seems like hours can get a little wearing though! Personally, I like the BS concept - the hilites of last years Liverpool gig were when he was joined onstage by an early version. It sounded great, though the other nights gig sounds altogether less impressive!

But regardless of how much of this I like or don't like, I have to say these are some of Julian's most 'organic' releases!
Ziggypop
Ziggypop
300 posts

Re: Black Sheep @ the Bristol Festival
Sep 21, 2009, 15:10
I don't think Julian is serious with this "project" and that's the way we should receive it. I enjoyed it personally and looking around at the laughter in the small crowd mabey they got the joke more than people closest to it...
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 15:25
I'm with you, Harv. I like tunes. And rhythm. One or both of these are (to my mind) qualities which define what music is. Last night's 'gig' lacked either. Though there may have a been a bit a of rhythm going during the drumming.

Oh and I like Holy's magic sonic barbecue noises.
neighbourofthedrude
neighbourofthedrude
1555 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 15:43
Kid Calamity wrote:
Whilst I'm not actually wearing it at the moment, can I just use this forum to publicly confess to owning a cardigan?

I have lots of cardigans.
I'm wearing one today.
Yes.
It is black.

;o)
Kid Calamity
9043 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 15:44
In fact, I own two. One, I must add, is by All Saints.
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 16:47
Ziggypop wrote:
I don't think Julian is serious with this "project" and that's the way we should receive it. I enjoyed it personally and looking around at the laughter in the small crowd mabey they got the joke more than people closest to it...

So *that's* it. The people who thought it was tuneless rubbish just didn't get the joke.

Perhaps you can explain the joke for them? Then, next time, they'll be able to enjoy it like you did.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 17:09
suave harv wrote:
Ziggypop wrote:

So *that's* it. The people who thought it was tuneless rubbish just didn't get the joke.

Perhaps you can explain the joke for them? Then, next time, they'll be able to enjoy it like you did.

TBH, I don't know who I think is being more narrow minded here. It is surely all a matter of taste. Some people like a bit of a tune, some people enjoy "experimental sonic collage that is pushing the boundries of our perception of music". Juian appears to enjoy a bit of each, and good for him I say. I'm sure he isn't losing any sleep over our opinions one way or the other.

For the record, I also like a bit of each, but that doesn't mean that I enjoy all of Mr Cope's efforts. I loved Unruly Imagination, but didn't enjoy KMSA. What I do appreciate is that Julian is always willing to have a go at something different, which I think is a brave and forward-thinking approach.
MARTASE
MARTASE
602 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2009, 18:36
Sep 21, 2009, 18:19
Amazed at so much vehemence TBH. Feels a bit like people putting the boot in after a gig that had major technical failings- hardly the basis for judgement of the whole trip.Some sympathy for the poor turn out and technical fuck-ups seems more appropriate.
Ziggypop
Ziggypop
300 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 18:24
suave harv wrote:
Ziggypop wrote:

I don't really have the time or inclination to explain how I feel or understand the music that I listen to but in this case I'll just post a Quote from Mr Cope himself and you can read into it what you wish-

My favourite album would be a sonically-unbalanced Detroit-sounding, guitar-heavy, on-the-one righteous freakout played by great looking guys who aimed at a Forward-thinking Motherfucker Utopian stance. A cross between the Plastic Ono Band/MC5/Ash Ra Tempel/Funkadelic and wearing warpaint/woad/glam-make up. Their lead singer would physically have to be somewhere between Damo/Iggy/David Lee Roth and sound like all of the above combined with Rob Tyner, John Garner and Dick Peterson, and he would be platform-booted or barefoot. Their stance would have to be outwardly throwaway and unserious, yet their inner-trip would have to secretly believe that their music was gonna kick all the self-righteous Protestant/ Cromwellian/Roundheaded/Stalinist/Fatherland Cocksuckers into Hyperspace. Groups have got close to this several times. How I love them for even trying. I get down on my knees and thank the sun for rising every time I discover more of such upwardly-aiming Heathen Schtompf.
MARTASE
MARTASE
602 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 18:33
Right on.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index