Unsung Forum »
Black Sheep @ the Bristol Festival

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Re: A big turn off
Sep 21, 2009, 14:22
Oh dear. It sounds like a right shambles. What a shame.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 14:26
Jane, don't feel that you should apologize. I have found Julian's catalog virtually un-listenable after INTERPRETOR. I gave up at Dark Orgasm/Citizen Cained. It just seems so un-seemly to see a guy in his fifties in a stormtrooper hat playing.....{i don't know what the hell to call it}. He really needs to grab a Martin guitar and get organic again. The mans voice is his instrument. And personally speaking.....i've no more interest in ODINism or "Blowing themselves up Mother-Fuckers", than i do in watching 'Reality' TV.
dan_tuesday
dan_tuesday
31 posts

Re: Black Sheep @ the Bristol Festival
Sep 21, 2009, 14:30
The band came on about 20 minutes late and to be honest I wasen't grabbed. I left after about 5-10 minutes so I'm not really in a position to give a full account

Highlight of the festival on Sunday for me was Clayton Blizzard who I felt was on far too early
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 14:38
dodge one wrote:
He really needs to grab a Martin guitar and get organic again.

Yes, and if he does people WILL listen to the important things that need to be said about justice, equality and so on.

However, like I say, I haven't given up on the man. Oh no! Perhaps it's just a phase he needs to get out of his system and once he has he'll find a new way of expressing himself that includes tunes, rhythm, wit and good old-fashioned hard rock 'n' roll. Time will tell.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 14:39
bubblehead2 wrote:
I dunno but Toad Tempest works for me, if you're one of those trippy toads and you can lick yer own back then it just might work for you too !

Don't give her ideas!

Mind you, if people want to lick my back I'm sure we could come to some arrangement.
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 14:42
I can understand and appreciate his reluctance to fall back on something tried and tested - returning to a style of his past, Dodge. It would almost certainly feel like a cop out, compromising his quest for progress. Many of his followers would also see it as a betrayal of his values. Maybe it was just a bad one-off. The impressive footage I've seen of the road tour would suggest just that. If there were more live onstage appearances we'd see for sure.
suave harv
suave harv
704 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 14:44
As someone who's been taken to task on this forum for being an artless luddite for daring to suggest music needs at least some kind of melody and rhythm - I'm finding this thread most interesting.

I'm hoping the people who think the gig was a right old racket will get the same 'you don't understand experimental sonic collage' and 'it's pushing the boundries of our perception of music' arguments I had thrown at me a while back.
Kid Calamity
9042 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 14:48
Whilst I'm not actually wearing it at the moment, can I just use this forum to publicly confess to owning a cardigan?
dan_tuesday
dan_tuesday
31 posts

Sep 21, 2009, 14:50
Nothing wrong with a tuneful revolution as far as I'm concerned!
landells
landells
680 posts

Re: A big turn off... or turn on...
Sep 21, 2009, 15:01
I pretty much agree with what Jane wrote but that I'd add a few extra points:

if you enjoy KMSA and the Black Sheep BBC session then there is a fair chance that you would've enjoyed last night's performance but if you prefer your music to have a bit of a melody or even just something that remotely resembles a tune then you would've found the performance a bit of a let down

there were some moments that showed promise: the acoustic section played mostly by Michael, Christophe and Acoustika was pleasant; David Wrench playing the glock was diverting and Holy & Fat Paul painted some interesting soundscapes, Sadly, it went wrong when everybody was on the stage freaking out, and that’s when it should’ve been at its best

But I was glad I went: partly cos I got to hang out with my friends and partly cos despite not being a great musical performance I still witnessed something unique and a little bit different
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index