35 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 14, 2009, 13:14
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 13 September 2009 CE
Sep 14, 2009, 11:05
Abbey Road, MMT, Sgt Pepper and Past Masters Stereo Remasters - very nice but not earth shattering differences to the post 66 recordings. Improvements seem to mainly lie in bits of detail in the drumming, a little more heft to the bass guitar and a more rounded sound to the sfx, mellotrons and orchestral instruments. There is also more space round some of the singing. £38 worth? Over time for sure but hardly essential if you already have the vinyl or the 90s cds. I hear the pre 67 stuff is a different story.

Talking Heads - Fear of Music & Remain In Light Remasters -
Good to dig these out again. As remasters go these really are revelatory. Different records. Different band. Astonishing.

Schoenberg Variations Op 31 - Von Karajan
Anton Webern: Bach Fugue (Ricercare) no.2 - Boulez
Rosas bought the house down on Friday with their Bach, Webern, Schoenberg thing. Amazing music. Astonishing dancing.

The Horrors - both albums. Bubblegum gloom-flavoured post-punk revivalism. Clever and fun. Are to The Cure what McFly are to Cheap Trick.

Culture & The Djs - Various
Don't Check Me With No Lightwieght Stuff - I Roy
Some great examples of what is a forgotten art from the pre-digital era.

Bill Nelson - Clocks & Dials
One of last year's five Nelson releases. Six if you count this as a double. Slacker!

Bach Goldberg Variations - Glenn Gould
Two complete versions recorded 26 years apart. An instant object lesson in the power of inerpretation in classical music. As different as Coltrane on Kind of Blue and Sun Ship. The firebrand determined to write his name in the sky on one, the mature artist telling us something about what he has learned in the intervening quarter century on the other. Hugely recommended. If you only own one Bach record make it these two. If you follow me.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index