Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 30 August 2009 CE

31 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 30 August 2009 CE
Aug 30, 2009, 12:17
Soft Machine 'Volume One', 'Volume Two' and 'Seven' - I'm going through a major Softs retro phase at present, and these are the three albums winning out. The first two, in their sparkling new editions, are easy choices; but I've long underrated the later fusion-based albums of which the Ratledge-dominated 'Seven' is my current fave;

Led Zeppelin 'Presence' - my Unsung review refers to the epiphany I had with this amazing record this week. In fact, it's totally dominated my week's listening;

Moby Grape 'Wow' and 'Grape Jam' - Wherein a great band survives the loss of their most screwed-up genius with aplomb. According to the latest issue of 'Shindig' the 2007 Sundazed remasters of these early Grape gems have been deleted for legal reasons. Grab 'em while you can;

Sad Cafe 'Facades' - laugh at me if you like, but this is an ace album to my ears by a good band who had the misfortune to emerge right in the middle of the punk explosion. Always better live than on their rather under-produced records, this is their best-known and best overall album, bearing the clear influence of producer Eric Stewart;

Jerry Lee Lewis 'Mercury Smashes' - wherein a rock & roll legend takes on and conquers the tired old world of country and western music with style, panache, and not a little of that ol'Killer wildness. What a legend;

Sergiu Celibidache 'The WDR Cologne Broadcasts' - Superb 5CD box set of late-50's live performances (well, how could they be anything else from a conductor who refused to record) including one of the most searing Tchaikovsky 6ths I've ever heard;

Karel Ancerl 'My Country' - fascinating Supraphon DVD including a superb live 'Ma Vlast' from the 1968 Prague Spring Festival and an old Czech TV documentary of a great conductor who, unlike the rest of his family, survived Auschwitz.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index