bass communion : litany

Sand Snowman : Two Way Mirror

Dieter Moebius : Bone
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 30 August 2009 CE
Aug 30, 2009, 12:17
Soft Machine 'Volume One', 'Volume Two' and 'Seven' - I'm going through a major Softs retro phase at present, and these are the three albums winning out. The first two, in their sparkling new editions, are easy choices; but I've long underrated the later fusion-based albums of which the Ratledge-dominated 'Seven' is my current fave;

Led Zeppelin 'Presence' - my Unsung review refers to the epiphany I had with this amazing record this week. In fact, it's totally dominated my week's listening;

Moby Grape 'Wow' and 'Grape Jam' - Wherein a great band survives the loss of their most screwed-up genius with aplomb. According to the latest issue of 'Shindig' the 2007 Sundazed remasters of these early Grape gems have been deleted for legal reasons. Grab 'em while you can;

Sad Cafe 'Facades' - laugh at me if you like, but this is an ace album to my ears by a good band who had the misfortune to emerge right in the middle of the punk explosion. Always better live than on their rather under-produced records, this is their best-known and best overall album, bearing the clear influence of producer Eric Stewart;

Jerry Lee Lewis 'Mercury Smashes' - wherein a rock & roll legend takes on and conquers the tired old world of country and western music with style, panache, and not a little of that ol'Killer wildness. What a legend;

Sergiu Celibidache 'The WDR Cologne Broadcasts' - Superb 5CD box set of late-50's live performances (well, how could they be anything else from a conductor who refused to record) including one of the most searing Tchaikovsky 6ths I've ever heard;

Karel Ancerl 'My Country' - fascinating Supraphon DVD including a superb live 'Ma Vlast' from the 1968 Prague Spring Festival and an old Czech TV documentary of a great conductor who, unlike the rest of his family, survived Auschwitz.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Aug 30, 2009, 13:17
Aug 30, 2009, 12:51
Fitter Stoke wrote:
but I've long underrated the later fusion-based albums of which the Ratledge-dominated 'Seven' is my current fave;

Good call Mr.Stoke, I often blast that album.

Who can resist the track "Nettle Bed"?...and that liquid synth solo that nearly goes into serious orbit with self-destruction and then plunges back to earth just when you catch your breath....or....the magnificent "Day's Eye" with Jenkin's smooth Baritone Sax wafting into the air, giving way to Ratledge's 'sellotape unwinding/nest of rats' Organ sound, it really makes me laugh the way it comes in and cuts through everything else.

Every track a gem, almost like 'testcard muzak' in places, but with a real otherwordly feel.
The ambient tracks are great too.

;-)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Aug 30, 2009, 13:08
DAVID BOWIE - The Deram Anthology

BOYD RICE/FRANK TOVEY - Easy Listening For The Hard Of Hearing

AFX - Analogue Bubblebath 5

JOE ZAWINUL - Zawinul

GRAILS - Grails

WHITEHOUSE - Thank Your Lucky Stars

LEGENDARY PINK DOTS - The Whispering Wall

WOLF EYES - Human Animal

GENESIS - Trespass

PSYCHIC TV - Dreams Less Sweet

DIRTY HARRY OST

MUSLIMGAUZE - Sulaymaniyah
a23
a23
1004 posts

Aug 30, 2009, 14:50
Hitting the most plays this week has been
Golden Animals - Free your mind & win a pony - enjoyed them live @ green man and the recorded version isn't bad either - maybe a bit manicured and missing the fuzzed guitar workout, but a nice mix of west coast / doors / quirky sounds

Also - The Durutti Column Box set - worked thru this
Return of...sounds crisp and welcoming
LC - always my favourite DC album, imbued with many many memories. My original vinyl has been played to death, so nice to have a remaster
Another Setting - unfortunately, remastering didn't fix what's wrong with this record - several great DC tracks but just doesn't happen. I remember waiting for it to come out after LC and being so disappointed. Interested to read in the notes that Vini was very disappointed by it also.
Without Mercy - I've always liked this record, reflective melodies.
Demos - disappointed with this disc - the instrumental demo of Never Known is good, as is the track that follows it, but nothing much else on here interested me
Live bonus - much more like it - injected some energy and passion back in. Liked the opening tracks recorded in Glasgow in 1982 - i saw them play in edinburgh on that tour and was mesmerised sitting right at the front of the stage by the intricacies of his guitar playing - i'd never seen someone play three parts at once on a guitar.
One other gripe - why is the box for these so bloody big???

Wooden Shjips - Dos / Volume 1

Wicker man OST

Hawklords - 25 years

Wild Swans - Bringing Home the Ashes

Psychic TV - Heaven is her/e
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Aug 30, 2009, 16:45
"One other gripe - why is the box for these so bloody big???"

I thought that too - maybe to fit the album sleeve cards in.

8)
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Aug 30, 2009, 16:51
Apostle of Hustle - Eats Darkness

Various - John Peel : Right Time, Wrong Speed (Best of the Peel Sessions)

The Blue Orchids - The Greatest Hit (Money Mountain)

The Human League - Greatest Hits

Tom Ze - Com Defeito de Fabricao

The Stooges : s/t

The Doors : Strange Days

D'Arcangelo : Broken Toys' Corner

Various - The Psychedelic Years (thank you machineryelf, your discs are finally in the post now too!)

The Undertones : The Best of...

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

Swell Maps - Jane from Occupied Europe
Seatown
71 posts

Aug 30, 2009, 16:54
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Karel Ancerl 'My Country' - fascinating Supraphon DVD including a superb live 'Ma Vlast' from the 1968 Prague Spring Festival and an old Czech TV documentary of a great conductor who, unlike the rest of his family, survived Auschwitz.

Top call Fitter Stoke.I have a few of the Supraphon Gold Edition releases including some great Martinu performances.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Aug 30, 2009, 16:59
Aug 30, 2009, 16:57
Fitter Stoke wrote:

Moby Grape 'Wow' and 'Grape Jam' - Wherein a great band survives the loss of their most screwed-up genius with aplomb. According to the latest issue of 'Shindig' the 2007 Sundazed remasters of these early Grape gems have been deleted for legal reasons. Grab 'em while you can;

That's down to their odious manager, Matthew Katz, again - not content with preventing them from using the name for live shows until 1999, he also slaps lawsuits on any attempts by other companies to re-issue their back catalogue (which he has also done, appallingly badly, on his own San Francisco Sound label).

When Columbia put out the "Vintage" compilation they included the Grape's entire first album in the original running order, but had to screw up its continuity by inserting bits of studio chatter between the songs, otherwise Matthew Katz would have sued them because legally he owns the rights to the album.

Seems to have been up their with Allen Klein in terms of deviousness.

Oh, and speaking of Soft Machine - I saw Robert Wyatt supping an expresso outside a cafe on Pentonville Road the other day.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6209 posts

Aug 30, 2009, 21:35
Popel Vooje wrote:

Swell Maps - Jane from Occupied Europe

Tis a cracker...
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index