Still listening to The Monkees
i would imagine.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Aug 23, 2009, 15:26
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives Summer 1969 CE
Aug 23, 2009, 14:22
For me it would have been listening to my older siblings records as well as what was blaring on the radio and seen/heard on TOTP.

On the dansette would have been- The Who, The Small Faces, Motown, The Beatles (especially the White Album at that point in time), Rolling Stones, The Move, Cream, Bonzo Dog DD Band etc.

This was when I could get my 9 year old greasy mitts on said platters, when big brother and sis were out of the house

My Dad also had a couple of LPs by Spike Jones & His City Slickers- a precursor to the likes of The Residents and Nurse With Wound!
Also a load of Easy Listening stuff by the likes of Herp Alpert etc, although I would find great joy in playing these at 45, 78 and 16

Yup, for me too- that Zager & Evans' classic would have been soaked into my skin- it still sounds great today.

I also have memories of the show called 'Colour Me Pop' in 1968/9- I remember watching The Small Faces, The Peddlers, Moody Blues, The Kinks, The Nice, The Move and The Bonzo Dog DD Band to name a few, I even used to write down in a book the bands that I sometimes saw on TV!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Aug 23, 2009, 16:44
I think that was the year my hippie aunt played me the Beatles. I thought they were the Monkees(!)
wildswan89
wildswan89
111 posts

Aug 24, 2009, 02:31
This was actually 2 years before I was born but I am familiar with some songs that were popular that summer: one of my faves is Sugar Sugar by The Archies.

Woodstock took place in August of that year as well and the one performance that sticks out in my mind from footage I've seen on the event is Jimi Hendrix amazing performance of Star Spangled Banner.
Unsung Forum Index