Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
What do you reckon is yer favourite Chrome album ?

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
1001realapes
1001realapes
2379 posts

Edited Aug 13, 2009, 17:52
What do you reckon is yer favourite Chrome album ?
Aug 08, 2009, 00:17
I've just listened to the
first five LP's and at present
i like The Visitation the
best , which is the first one
i heard , around '79 . i suppose
the cult faves are Alien Soundtracks
& Half Machine Lip Moves .
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: What do you reckon is yer favourite Chrome album ?
Aug 08, 2009, 03:42
I dunno if I have a favorite... Most of them are good as far as I can tell.
naughtynige
naughtynige
778 posts

Aug 08, 2009, 11:16
Don't have a fave album but I particularly love that track "I Am The Jaw", it really makes me laugh for some reason.
boy howdy
boy howdy
185 posts

Aug 12, 2009, 06:33
I like everything with Helios Creed, but I think Alien Soundtracks is my favorite of the bunch. 3rd From The Sun is another favorite, in a tad more conventional format (it's still hallucinatory, but not as mind-meltingly full-on). The Visitation is great but that was recorded before Helios Creed joined the band, and to me the sound hadn't completely gelled yet (though I certainly delight in wonders like "Kinky Lover". Once Helios joined, it was on, the Creed/Edge combo was an understated psychedelic juggernaut.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 12, 2009, 07:09
dunno how you feel about after Helios left but surprised you didn't comment. I think a lot of people feel they lost it and became French New Wave dreck scarcely worthy of the name they'd established as the duo plus.
Helios solo stuff maintains a pretty total skullfuck psych level from what I've heard.
Do wish there were video of them live in the classic line up or the promos they did could be found in decent quality.
Chrome Box is a good place to start , especially if you can get it at the price i paid from cdconnection, think it was $12 plus p+p
Stevo
Np Todd Rundgren A Wizard A True Star Neverneverland
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Aug 12, 2009, 10:00
Never heard of them.

I take it from the replies they're considered to be quite good?
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Aug 12, 2009, 12:02
the right stuff is almost trepanning, the wrong stuff is a major let down.
San Francisco band that emerged at roughly the same time as punk but probably didn't have that much to do with an actual punk scene. did a variant on space/stoner rock cut up with atonal synths etc, some semi folky influences appear in places. Like the melodies fuzzed out violins are playing on first couple of lps. seem to describe a postapocalyptic viewpoint on current society, if it ain't just schizoid vocal babbling. cyberpunk might be a viewpoint.
They were on the Subterranean Modern e.p. with The Residents and Mx-80 Sound which might give you another way of thinking of them if you knew those other 2 bands. The 3 seem to fit together somewhat anyway. Some comparisons to early BUtthole Surfers could be made & people at Rateyourmusic have made links to Big Black and the Birthday Party. The rock at the core is somewhat similr to early 70s postpsych like Hawkwind, who Helios Creed went onto collaborate with much later.
Stevo
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Aug 12, 2009, 12:53
Possibly not my cup of tea then.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2379 posts

Aug 12, 2009, 13:12
Stevo wrote:
the right stuff is almost trepanning, the wrong stuff is a major let down.
San Francisco band that emerged at roughly the same time as punk but probably didn't have that much to do with an actual punk scene. did a variant on space/stoner rock cut up with atonal synths etc, some semi folky influences appear in places. Like the melodies fuzzed out violins are playing on first couple of lps. seem to describe a postapocalyptic viewpoint on current society, if it ain't just schizoid vocal babbling. cyberpunk might be a viewpoint.
They were on the Subterranean Modern e.p. with The Residents and Mx-80 Sound which might give you another way of thinking of them if you knew those other 2 bands. The 3 seem to fit together somewhat anyway. Some comparisons to early BUtthole Surfers could be made & people at Rateyourmusic have made links to Big Black and the Birthday Party. The rock at the core is somewhat similr to early 70s postpsych like Hawkwind, who Helios Creed went onto collaborate with much later.
Stevo

Subterranean Modern is an LP , released
in 1979 on Ralph Records , Tuxedomoon is
also on it .
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Aug 12, 2009, 15:08
Just listened to Alien Soundtrack on Spotify very interesting stuff but is there a budget entry option for UK folk? All the places I looked have it for £20 plus on CD
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index