45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 09 August 2009 CE
Aug 10, 2009, 14:36
Various artists- Children of Nuggets.

4 CD box set borrowed from the library. Very enjoyable and quite nostalgic- I've already got a lot of what's on here- but a bizzarely conservative track selection considering this is meant to be an overview of the 80s psychedelic revival. Which for some reason means including The Church, That Petrol Emotion, The Godfathers, Screaming Trees and The Nerves- fine as they all may be- but skipping over The Jesus and Mary Chain, Loop, Spacemen 3, Gaye Bykers on Acid, The Shamen, Cardiacs, Psychic TV, The Butthole Surfers, Husker Du, My Bloody Valentine... in favour of endless Paisley Underground and identical Australian garage bands. Ah well. Nice to hear my mate Vic on there with Vibrasonic, though.

The Doctor's Children- King Buffalo.

Sole album by this completely forgotten late 80s indie band who would have sat quite happily on the above compilation. At the time they were accused of being an Only Ones rip-off, but sit happily between The House of Love and The Weather Prophets, stealing as much from the Bunnymen and the Velvets as Perret and co. Though British, this is an American issue on the Dream Syndicate's 'Down There' label, and a hyperbolic sticker on the front quotes Sounds as saying 'The Doctor's Children are going to be the greatest band in England... nothing short of death by drowning will stop them!' I guess they all fell overboard on the way to the states, then.

Ravi Shankar- Transmigration Macabre.

Great late sixties psych-raga soundtrack LP, if rather brief at about 30 minutes duration. Only cost me a quid, though!

The Modern Lovers- Live!

That's all.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index