Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 09 August 2009 CE

45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 09 August 2009 CE
Aug 10, 2009, 08:31
Rationals disc 2 of the 2cd set. really like this stuff. takes it up to '68 where guitar graunch is making regular appearance. they were musically pretty muscular throughout though.

Neil Young Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
new remaster of the Neil Young classic. Bought it from cdconnection, not sure if these are out over here yet.
Haven't listened to the lp in years but looked like even then I'd ignored the 2nd side of my vinyl. Found the shorter songs there quite great.
Was a little disappointed at the lack of liner notes. & there's no bonus tracks which could be either way, did just get a d/ld of the Archives set so possibly got enough NY to explore. MIght get s/t & Goldrush since sound is so good though.

Isaac Hayes Black Moses
Remaster from last year in scaled down version of original packaging. Hoping the rest of his good span (69-73?) gets decent remaster & packaging now even if it is delayed in memoriam. Think they've started with Hot Buttered Soul, which had been remastered reasonably recently but in rotten packaging. & the last edition of the Shaft soundtrack substituted the short single version of Do Your Thing for the 20minute trance one from the lp.
Black MOses sees Hayes creating a concept lp out of his divorce situation. I'm knocked sideways by the wah wah guitar. When Hayes' arranging is on it really is on. say no more.

Todd Rundgren A Wizard A True star
cd of this could seriously use a remaster. Sounded pretty decent on a decent car stereo but was rubbing other passengers up wrong way with the freeform electronic peripherals. Think from that perspective it misses the melodic pop core. Had to take it off after about 5 minutes, brought it home, played it on my bedroom stereo and just couldn't get the same edge.
Would think something like this would get remastered more than once in 19 odd years.

The Mojo African compi cd that replaced it in the car stereo. Was very impressed by this, heard a lot of new (at least to me) stuff on it. hadn't heard the Konono no1 Congotronics lpbefore though I do have live stuff, pretty sublime track. rest seems to be of as high quality.

Comets On Fire 27/6/05
visceral as ever, some heavily extended tracks here. wish more live would appear on Dime, have seen that it had before.

Can Ege Bamyasi
turned up on somebody's ipod on camp, hadn't listened to it in ages anyway but especially welcome finding it there.

Nico Chelsea Girl
turned up at a different time on same walkman. again not listened to in ages, think I may still have my copy but buried in a box or pile somewhere. Haunting versions of material by Reed, Cale, a very young Jackson Browne among others.
must refind mine.

some Eritrean folk stuff from same walkman. sounds like Ethiopiques divested of James Brown/Ornette Coleman influences, must further investigate.

several other bits and bobs. less than usual because been on camp for a week.
Stevo
NP Comets On Fire 27/6/05
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index