Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Aug 09, 2009, 13:46
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 09 August 2009 CE
Aug 09, 2009, 13:22
Psst, come 'ere...

BOC - Agents Of Future - Still find parts of this disappointing but at its best ( Reaper / Vera / ETI / This Ain't The Summer ) stands comparison with anything released in a 70's hard rockin' but melodious stylee.

Wait, there's mo'...

BOC - Secret Treaties - Classic ( side 1 especially) 'nuff said !

New stuff...

PINK MOUNTAINTOPS - Outside love - Reminds me of a 1001 other things ( Phil Spector thru' to Smog on initial plays ) but remains resolutely contemporary and Mountainesque ( Pink and Black not Leslie and Felix ).

Old Stuff...

ENNIO MORRICONE - High - Comp of late 60's / early 70's music. First half's driven by somewhat cheesy easy listening organ, so much so, that on occasions it makes me wanna flyaway in the Slimcea balloon. Atonality, FX and weirdness to the fore in the second half so more to my tastes. Best cuts here ( 1970 springs to mind ) can be found on the superior Crime & Dissonance.

In the car with me ma ( so a degree of compromise )...

NEIL YOUNG - Decade 2CD - Still prefer the rockier stuff with Crazy Horse, or Buffalo Springfield for that matter, but he remains one of the very few singer songwriters i can actually bare to listen to solo and unaccompanied.

FAIRPORT CONVENTION - Liege & Lief - Unanimous thumbs up from both of us on this.

PARLIAMENT - Mothership Connection - Didn't go down so well (that's FUNKED up, mum)

Live...

TRICLOPS - Lengthier restrained set from top improv trio at last Saturday's Burst Couch event in Manchester, pity there were so few there but great to meet again those who were.

On the box...

Have enjoyed a couple of Prog docs on the Beeb iPlayer too. Beginning to regret not checking out the Canterbury bands ( Matching Mole excepted ) back in the day now, gotta say i really enjoyed Caravan's performance in one of those docs so will be checking them out further this week.

The footage of Yes c.1973 doing Yours Is No Disgrace was a revelation, mainly 'cos i thought Howe's fretboard was gonna combust so much stick was he givin' it. I'll even forgive them the ropey lyrics and capes in this instance !

Can't sing off without saying what an egomaniacal cunt Carl Palmer came over as in the interviews though. Bill Bruford was much nicer !

Happy listening everyone,

Mark x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index