Your Life Through Music

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Gnostic Almighty
Gnostic Almighty
236 posts

Edited Jul 29, 2009, 22:34
Your Life Through Music
Jul 28, 2009, 18:38
I can't every artiste/group ever listened to, but here is a list of 10 of the musical ensembles that accompanied me through important times of my life, starting with pubescence ...

Mud (loved 'Mud Rock' when I was 14!) Slade followed soon after, but Mud was first.
The Damned (the first 'music' that inspired me at 16)
Nick Lowe (I thought he was a good songwriter ... Pure Pop for Now People. Never realised at the time he'd been around for years in Brinsley Schwarz. Getting better with age.)
Motorhead (wow ... Overkill is STILL a classic!)
Diamond Head ... thought they were good. I listened to them a lot until I actually realised Led Zeppelin had done it all before, and much better!)
The Icicle Works (... circa 1984 ... I just loved the voice. Stadium rock on a budget. Better than U2, Simple Minds I thought at the time. Nirvana still sounds decent today. Ian McNabb is still releasing too.)
The Smiths. Simply stunning. Much copied, never really bettered for what they were.
Julian Cope (Jehovakill ... I liked the Teardrops, but this was revolutionary at the time. It still gets played. Upwards at 45 Degrees .... indeed.)
Hawkwind. Very late actually listening to them, but loved it once I 'got it'.
Mark Knopfler ... coming from the North East I find his solo stuff quite hypnotic, if a little conservative. Never really cared for Dire Straits!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Re: My Life Through Music
Jul 28, 2009, 19:15
1. Abbey Road - The Beatles. First album I knew all the words to, at the age of 9-ish. Followed by Sgt Pepper and the Simon & Garfunkel catalogue.

2. Complete Madness - Madness/Kings of The Wild Frontier era Adam & The Ants. Ah, TOTP memories.

3. Oxygene - Jean-Michel Jarre. My first steps into electronic music, aged 10 or 11. I'd never heard of Kraftwerk then of course.

4. Hunting High & Low - A-ha. Aged 13. Due for a revival...

5. Actually - Pet Shop Boys. Intelligent pop music, there's a novelty. Aged 14.

6. Substance - New Order. The life changer. Never looked back. Aged 15-16.

7. Viva Hate - Morrissey/Seventeen Seconds - The Cure/My Nation Underground - Julian Cope. In quick succession during 1988. From here I was into the Smiths, Echo & the Bunnymen and Teardrop Explodes very soon after. And then Joy Division. Oh yes.

8. A Little Man and a House and The Whole World Window - Cardiacs - I cannot describe how much I was blown away the first time I heard this!

9. LC - Durutti Column - bought in one of those lovely Factory boxed cassettes in Woolworths in Truro, aged 16. Another life changer, the DC catalogue is my favourite of all.

10. 3 Songs EP/Seamonsters - the Wedding Present. Although a fan before, these were the real showstoppers.

11. Dubnobasswithmyheadman - Underworld. Who said dance music is crap?

Can't narrow it down after that, but let's include Elvis, Gang of Four, Louis Armstrong, Kate Bush, New Model Army, Chameleons, Velvet Underground, Stooges, Kraftwerk, PiL, The Fall, Fatima Mansions, ACR, OMD, etc, etc.
Unsung Forum Index