42 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 12 July 2009 CE
Jul 13, 2009, 11:00
ZZ Top Rancho Texicano disc 1
Nice selection of the 70s material by Texas boogiemen. Really enjoying this, not sure if I'd heard Just Got Paid Today in its studio original, do know the Rapeman cover. Still wondering what the story was on Rapeman wanting to call their lp ZZ Top's First Lp.
Oh yeah, was thinking the bandname lost something if you pronounced it the English way, so wonder if anybody does.

Synanthesia
lovely acid folky lp with predominant flute/woodwind. This has been sitting on a pile beside me as I sit aty the computer for months, think I was prompted to play it by the Record collector article on Acid Folk. Glad I did.

Caspar Brotzmann Massaker Koksofen
pretty visceral lp, not as hard hitting as Home far as I can see. Still pretty amazing in places, finally got it on cd after losing my vinyl years back.

Smokey Robinson My World
pretty decent compi of Dylan's onetime favourite poet. Even the later stuff that opens the lp is pretty good. I haven't really looked at his work after the 60s before, don't think I'm going to be rushing to buy things after that but do think he still had it to some extent.
rhythm tracks on some of the 60s stuff sound a bit odd, like they've been redone or seriously remixed though.

13th Floor Elevators Sign Of The 3 eyed Men
Think I've listened through the whole of this now. Very very nice to finally have pretty much everything. Some revelations, like hearing how good the Contact stuff sounds sans crowd noise overdubs
and a semi decent sounding Bull Of The Woods.
only thing that could've made this set more perfect would be the inclusion of The Spades single and a t-shirt.

Spirit Clear
Had got into bits of this lp before I left London 20 odd years back. Haven't really heard it since and am now realising how much I loved it, the instrumental Ice especially. But overall, I think i should stop neglecting the band.

Jah Shaka meets The Revolutionaries Sensi dub 5
pretty exemplary early 90s dub a bit less murky/cloudy than its 70s ancestor but still great.

Giannis Markopoulos No Mr Robinson
looking through the Other section in Demonoid I came across a torrent of material by this composer who I knew from getting an lp cheap from the miscellaneous section of my local 2nd hand shop 2 decades back. Far as I remember that had a different title on it, but looking at individual track titles on downloading it seemed to be the same music. Listened and it was, so I've just rediscovered a somewhat favourite lp I've been missing for 13 years.
Great mass chiming bouzouki etc runs,quite hypnotic in places. I think that's what I liked about Savage Republic too though with electricity added.

Alphonse Mouzon Mind Transplant
deeply funky mid 70s session with Tommy Bolin among the guitarists.
Something of a response to Spectrum by Billy Cobham, which also features Bolin who was also purpling at the time.

several other bits and pieces I can't think of now.
Stevo
Np Alphonse Mouzon Mind Transplant Happiness Is Loving You
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index