42 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Edited Jul 12, 2009, 23:26
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 12 July 2009 CE
Jul 12, 2009, 23:24
Soft Machine 'Six' and 'Seven' - two good fusion albums not as lacking in charm as their post-Wyatt reputation has bequeathed. The former is a fine testament of Hugh Hopper's superbly musical bass technique. Lovely;

Hatfield and the North 'Live 1990' - well recorded live recording from the Dave Stewart-less TV concert, featuring a fine Pip Pyle ditty in 'Shipwrecked' here sung much more emotively by Richard Sinclair than the Jakko performance that graced the drummer's later solo LP;

Caravan 'Cool Water' - belatedly released 'lost' album betwixt 'Better By Far' and 'The Album', highlighting once again the pop sensibilities of the terminally underrated Pye Hastings;

Buzzcocks 'A Different Kind Of Tension' - well, side two anyway (Steve Diggle's contributions on the first side are dreadful). The sequence of unabated, drug dripping paranoia that is 'I Don't Know What To Do With My Life', 'Money', 'Hollow Inside', the title track and 'I Believe' shows Pete Shelley at his intense, creative best. I've found most of the Buzzcocks' post-Devoto output to have dated badly to my ears, but not this;

Nick Lowe 'At My Age' - wherein Brentford's finest reels off one perfectly crafted pop song after another as if they just grew on trees. Take your place behind Pye in the unsung queue, Mr Lowe;

Clive Gregson 'The Best Of' - and, at risk of repeating myself, here's another great British tunesmith with a compilation that for once lives up to its name. Fine introduction to an extensive and consistent back catalogue;

Cluster 'Cluster II' - well, you can't expect me to wallow in melody for ever. And if I want to get atonal, this is about as good as it gets. Strangely enough, I find this incredibly moving in places, and I don't really know why.

That's about it for me. I'm off to the land of grey and pink for my annual Kent Beer Festival binge this week. And no way will I be drooling over the Blondie tribute act that traditionally graces the opening night. No way at all.

Have a great week, all

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index