45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Jul 07, 2009, 03:15
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 5 July 2009 CE
Jul 07, 2009, 02:40
Hi PV, i agree the jug is absolutely intrinsic to their sound too, there's no mistaking an Elevators track when you here one that's for sure,it's just that sometimes i wish it was a little less frenetic !

The Live in California CD is just fantastic, it's hard to believe how tight they were considering they were tripping on stage, i was expecting someting much, much looser. Oh, and as good as the cover versions are on that disc they just pale against the immense live versions of their own toons. I seem to remember reading in Eye Mind that they included covers to allow the audience to relax a little before hitting them in the ears with the lysergic evangelism of their originals. Gotta say it worked for me 43 years after the fact !

The Eno/Roxy, Ravenstine/Ubu comments make complete sense too, i love both of those bands and that underlying weirdness is one of the principal reasons they stood out from the crowd ( er, along with Roxy's visual appeal of course ! ). Another band from the 70's i'd put in that bracket would be Hawkwind, they wer never really quite the same for me once Dik Mik and Del Dettmar left and took their sonic space squall with them.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index