Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2009, 14:50
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 5 July 2009 CE
Jul 06, 2009, 14:31
Hail! m/

quite a lot this week!

Astra - The Weirding. Immense!

Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin. Great melodic death with metal amazing female vocalist. Angela Gossow, diminutive German rock pixie opens her gob and the most incredible death roaring comes out. It's not right but it is great. Even better/weirder live

Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Kraftwerk - The Man Machine.

Supergrass - Diamond Hoo Haa. Picked up for the princely sum of £1 in Fopp. A band I'd long relinquished but I heard some tracks from this awhile ago. It's a properly good rock n' roll record. Pleasantly surprised and good for them!

Nevermore - This Godless Endeavour. Brooding and epic metal from the States.

Pendulum - Hold Your Colour
Pendulum - In Silico. Played in the pod post-Glastonbury following their demolition of the Other Stage

Mr Oizo - Lambsanger. Excellent and vaguely bonkers electronica from the puppet wielding French dude that must have had one of the oddest number 1 hits ever on the back of an old Levis campaign. Nice and twisted homage to Un Chien Andalou on the sleeve art too. Flat Eric lives in my pod now. True.

Kylie - X. Not as great as the stripped back electro of Baody Language but a groovy selection of electro glam poppery. Weird how Little Boots, La Roux et al are hogging the limelight in an NME cred way when this is pretty much the same thing to my ears.

Richie Hawtin - Electronic Adventures. Old Mixmag freebie of superb minimal techno.

Vampire Weekend - S/T. Concise and boppy US indie with Afro-beat influences. Boingy.

The Longe Range - Madness & Me. Hmmm bit disappointing in parts. One of the Orbital brothers with a 'new band'. Tellingly, the best bits sound like vintage Orbital.

Cathedral - Garden of Unearthly Delights. Heavy, raw and trippy in parts with a 25 minute stoner epic track as a finale.

Stray - Time Machine. Extensive 2cd comp of 2nd division heroes. Some top tunes here.

Amorphous Androgynous - Tales of Ephidrina. At last, got it on CD (£3!!) after owning on ye olde cassette for years. Like it!

Ozric Tentacles - The Yum Yum Tree. Very enjoyable newie from da Tentacles

Manic Street Preachers - Send Away the Tigers. Another cheapo bargain, bought on the strength of a couple of songs I heard as singles. A really good album, and easily their best and rockingest since "Everthing Must Go" IMO (not heard the new one yet)

Manu Dibango - The Anthology. disc one. Afro-beat n jazz sax n vibes dude funks for you!

Have a nice week Pop Lickers x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index