45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jul 07, 2009, 17:00
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 5 July 2009 CE
Jul 06, 2009, 11:47
bubblehead2 wrote:

13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS - Sign Of The Three Eyed Men - Exemplary in every respect so hats off to Paul Drummond for doing such a brilliant job. This really is a complete revelation for those of us only familiar with crap mastered versions of their output. Er, gotta agree with Stacey that the gobblin' turkey electric jug is just a bit OTT at times though. Some of the live cuts on here are absolute killers BTW. Oh, took a listen to some early Grateful Dead from the Golden Road box as a comparison, i should admit i'm no Deadhead, but IMO the Elevators were streets, make that, leagues ahead back in 66/67.

It is a revelation, isn't it? Previous vinyl-sourced masters always sounded so enervated by comparison. The box set makes it obvious that, in addition to hbeing visionary forebears of both psychedelia and punk, they were also nun-eating rock monster capable of generating serious white- knuckle levels of intensity, espeially live. I think the jug appearing on every song was partly Lelan Rogers' fault - according to "Eye Mind" he wanted them to keep it predominant in their mixes because it was a gimmick that distinguished them from other bands (as if they needed one!). Still, it's quite effective - reminds me of how Brian Eno later used synths in Roxy Music to add an eerie otherworldly texture to the songs (and how Allen Ravenstine used them in Pere Ubu, for that matter).
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index