Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2009, 08:56
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 5 July 2009 CE
Jul 06, 2009, 08:52
Arthur Blythe - Montreal 1981
Fantastic set from the Blythe Spirit period. Chamber Jazz steeped in Gospel but not in a bad way.

Eddie Hinton - Very Extremely Dangerous
A largely brilliant Country Soul set from 78.

Michael Chapman - Fully Qualified Survivor & Rainmaker
Some artists just don't get their due until it is too late. Barring a Floyd collaboraiton here and a Zep seal of approval there you've got to figure that Roy Harper would be languishing in the same critical backwater.

The Pop - The Pop & Go!
Pitched somewhere between The Cars and Cheap Trick. Lost Power Pop semi-classics with just a hint of New York angularity here and there. Sound a bit like a version of the early Human League armed with Les Pauls rather than SH7s

TRex - Electric Warrior
I know people swear by the folk hobbit records (territory best left to Donovan) but this is far and away my favourite 40 minutes by the thinking man's Alvin Stardust. Nicely balanced between stompers and strummers. Great cover too.

I also found a couple of cassettes of pre Punk Nicky Horne shows that I taped off Capital at around the age of 13 or 14. Most of it was soft-rock dross and fag end pomp but there were always a few diamonds in there. Which brings me to ...

10cc - How Dare You
Not the last record from the English Steely Dan but the last one that mattered. Great tunes and they somehow manage to be even more misanthropic than the Beautiful South. Akin to the Sunflower era Beach Boys but with lyrics by Frank Zappa.

LZ - Presence
Page's shining forty five minutes. Very little single note widdly but the most inventive mainstream guitar record of the era.

Heart - Mistral Wind (various versions)
The best LZ number that Page / Plant never wrote. Nancy and Ann Wilson are cruelly under-rated musicians. On their day, right up there and still capable of great shows. Turning the usual career trajectory on its head, they are probably better live now than they were in 78. Shame about the big hair albums but Queen could have done a lot worse than get Ann Wilson rather than Paul Rogers.

Joe Walsh - So What
Another too-clever-by-half rock record from the pre Punk era. Would have been interesting to see what might have happened if he had teamed up with Steely Dan rather than The Eagles.

Man - Padget Rooms
With so many great live records in their catalogue it's hard to pick one out but until someone releases a complete version of Maximum Darkness this is pretty close to being the best of the lot.

Rod Stewart - Olympia Dec 1976
Well beyond his peak as a recording artist but be could still turn in a very decent if occasionally schlocky 90 minutes. The musical equivalent of a semi-interested Stan Bowles performance.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index