45 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2009, 05:43
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 5 July 2009 CE
Jul 06, 2009, 05:38
Haven't posted for ages so here's what's been floating my boat of late...

THE FIELD - Yesterday And Today - In the same vein as From Here We Go Sublime but more substantial perhaps. Live drumming c/o Battles dude John Stanier provides additional interest and an extra dimension IMO. Epic, almost Krauty, closing track Sequenced stands out on intial plays.

SMOG - Rain On Lens - I loved Knock Knock but never got around to getting this back in the day, what an idiot, it's superb, many thanks to Keith for the turn on ( and for the tasty Springsteen cover of Suicide's Dream Baby Dream, no E-Street band here, just organ and vocal, which is just how it should be really )

SUNN O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions - Heard this described as coffee table doom in one review, hehe. Me, i think it's the best thing they've ever done.

13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS - Sign Of The Three Eyed Men - Exemplary in every respect so hats off to Paul Drummond for doing such a brilliant job. This really is a complete revelation for those of us only familiar with crap mastered versions of their output. Er, gotta agree with Stacey that the gobblin' turkey electric jug is just a bit OTT at times though. Some of the live cuts on here are absolute killers BTW. Oh, took a listen to some early Grateful Dead from the Golden Road box as a comparison, i should admit i'm no Deadhead, but IMO the Elevators were streets, make that, leagues ahead back in 66/67.

And as it's been so hot and sunny the CD player in the car has been rammed with the following...

SOUL JAZZ TROPICALIA COMPILATION
MAX ROMEO - War Ina Babylon
CULTURE - Two Sevens Clash
THE CONGOS - Heart Of The Congos
MONKEES - Home made compilation
BEACH BOYS - Very best Of...

Hardly an original selection but immensely enjoyable nevertheless !

Load of other stuff that i haven't got the time to comment on right now too

Happy listening everyone,

Mark x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index