25 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives W/E 7 June 2009 CE
Jun 07, 2009, 10:45
Stooges Funhouse box set.
didn't think I'd ever get this since it sold out almost immediately when I wouldn't have been able to afford it anyway. But somebody had it torrented and now I have it as Flacs. Only listened to a couple of discs so far & those intercut with other material, but some of the other takes on Dirt are pretty cool, Freak the long LA Blues jam was interesting and hearing Ron play Down on the Street with much cleaner guitar had him sounding like he had far more technique than he was supposed to.

Tim Buckley Blue Afternoon
another lp I've wanted to get for years, had it on cd a decade + ago but it got robbed. So got on Flac from same source as the Stooges. One of my favourites of his, the set of songs supposedly written for Marlene Deitrich to sing though that's apparently apocryphal.
The step between Happy sad and Starsailor, sticking more with the jazz-folk bit than the avantness of Lorca and Starsailor. Pretty sublime music anyway. About time both this and Boboquivari got full cd reissues.

Dock Boggs Country Blues, Complete Early recordings
Harsh voiced banjo picker's Revenant set. Another record I regretted missing that I got from the same source as the above.

Various Beatles lps in Dr Ebbets remasters. Got the full set a couple weeks back and am slowly working my way through them.
Nice to have these in decent sound. & finally got Sgt Pepper which I'd avoided getting for some reason.
Do wonder if the upcoming September reissues will be better sounding than these if they've been messed with in the way people are fearing.

Miles Davis On The Corner Sessions
still waiting for about 20% of this to d/ld but liking what I've heard so far.

Fairport Convention BBC Box
Nice to have the full set. Interesting alternates to the studio stuff etc.
Wondering if what I'm noticing here with Si Tu Dois Partir is why I don't like the Unhalfbricking version. Sandy sings the lyrics almost as a list of words, not inhabiting them in the way she does the English lyrics of other songs. Felt the idea of translating them to French simply as a thing to do was a tad pointless & art student-y but if it puts a barrier between the singer & any feeling imbued it's doubly detracting.

A.C.Marias One Of Our Girls Has Gone Missing
Dubbed out hypnotic lp by Wire collaborator Angela Conway. Features a couple of Wire members amongst several other semi-avant heads from the mid 80s London scene. Really nice existential listening.

The Move Anthology 1966-72 disc1
starts off with them before they'd really developed their sound, still sounding pretty decent on mod-rocking soul covers. Goes through some of their better psych-pop stuff including an alternate take on Night of Fear.
One of the better late 60s Brit bands of course. The design of the box could be better though, trying to get the discs to fit in the holders is really fiddly, as is getting them out.

Supremes Love Child/-a-Go-Go
Love Child is an lp with some very good stuff on it, but I'm not sure how well it hangs together as an lp. Got some great bass playing on anyway.
A-Go-Go is from a couple years earlier and also contains some very good material but again not sure about how well it hangs as an lp. Guess that Motown hadn't really looked at the lp per se at the time, beyond a collection of songs with some semi interconnected theme.

Fuzzy Duck
Great funky proto-prog that is way better than silly name implies.

Theodarakis TA MEGALA ERGA
Flacs of a compi set a Greek National Newspaper stuck out free.
Been a fan of Greek s/trk music for years and nice to have the early material (50s &60s anyway). Rippling zithers agogo.

Manos Hadjikadis 100 songs (cds 1&2)
more rippling Greek stuff, yum.
Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index