Soundtracks Of Our Lives W/E 7 June 2009 CE
Jun 06, 2009, 14:24
Ibliss : Supernova

Brave New World : Impressions On Reading Aldous Huxley

Between : And The Waters Opened

Richie Havens : Richard P. Havens 1983

Julian Cope : Saint Julian

V.A. : Kraut! Demons! Kraut! (This has an early pre CAN single ,
I'm Hiding My Nightingale/Kama Sutra , and live Limbus !)

Kate Bush : The Red Shoes

Voice Of Eye : Voice Of Eye (MC)
1001realapes
1001realapes
2386 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives W/E 7 June 2009 CE
Jun 06, 2009, 22:35
Dead Can Dance : A Means Of Escape (their first track)

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band : Ice Cream For Crow

Ennio Morricone : Morricone Conducts Morricone (dvd)

Ennio Morricone : Arena Concerto (dvd)
Calighoulia
50 posts

Jun 06, 2009, 22:59
1. "Live"- Muddy "Mississippi" Waters
2. "Red Headed Stranger"- Carla Bozulich
3. "Real Gone"- Tom Waits
4. "No Direction Home: the Soundtrack"- Bob Dylan
5. "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"- Wilco
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jun 07, 2009, 10:45
Stooges Funhouse box set.
didn't think I'd ever get this since it sold out almost immediately when I wouldn't have been able to afford it anyway. But somebody had it torrented and now I have it as Flacs. Only listened to a couple of discs so far & those intercut with other material, but some of the other takes on Dirt are pretty cool, Freak the long LA Blues jam was interesting and hearing Ron play Down on the Street with much cleaner guitar had him sounding like he had far more technique than he was supposed to.

Tim Buckley Blue Afternoon
another lp I've wanted to get for years, had it on cd a decade + ago but it got robbed. So got on Flac from same source as the Stooges. One of my favourites of his, the set of songs supposedly written for Marlene Deitrich to sing though that's apparently apocryphal.
The step between Happy sad and Starsailor, sticking more with the jazz-folk bit than the avantness of Lorca and Starsailor. Pretty sublime music anyway. About time both this and Boboquivari got full cd reissues.

Dock Boggs Country Blues, Complete Early recordings
Harsh voiced banjo picker's Revenant set. Another record I regretted missing that I got from the same source as the above.

Various Beatles lps in Dr Ebbets remasters. Got the full set a couple weeks back and am slowly working my way through them.
Nice to have these in decent sound. & finally got Sgt Pepper which I'd avoided getting for some reason.
Do wonder if the upcoming September reissues will be better sounding than these if they've been messed with in the way people are fearing.

Miles Davis On The Corner Sessions
still waiting for about 20% of this to d/ld but liking what I've heard so far.

Fairport Convention BBC Box
Nice to have the full set. Interesting alternates to the studio stuff etc.
Wondering if what I'm noticing here with Si Tu Dois Partir is why I don't like the Unhalfbricking version. Sandy sings the lyrics almost as a list of words, not inhabiting them in the way she does the English lyrics of other songs. Felt the idea of translating them to French simply as a thing to do was a tad pointless & art student-y but if it puts a barrier between the singer & any feeling imbued it's doubly detracting.

A.C.Marias One Of Our Girls Has Gone Missing
Dubbed out hypnotic lp by Wire collaborator Angela Conway. Features a couple of Wire members amongst several other semi-avant heads from the mid 80s London scene. Really nice existential listening.

The Move Anthology 1966-72 disc1
starts off with them before they'd really developed their sound, still sounding pretty decent on mod-rocking soul covers. Goes through some of their better psych-pop stuff including an alternate take on Night of Fear.
One of the better late 60s Brit bands of course. The design of the box could be better though, trying to get the discs to fit in the holders is really fiddly, as is getting them out.

Supremes Love Child/-a-Go-Go
Love Child is an lp with some very good stuff on it, but I'm not sure how well it hangs together as an lp. Got some great bass playing on anyway.
A-Go-Go is from a couple years earlier and also contains some very good material but again not sure about how well it hangs as an lp. Guess that Motown hadn't really looked at the lp per se at the time, beyond a collection of songs with some semi interconnected theme.

Fuzzy Duck
Great funky proto-prog that is way better than silly name implies.

Theodarakis TA MEGALA ERGA
Flacs of a compi set a Greek National Newspaper stuck out free.
Been a fan of Greek s/trk music for years and nice to have the early material (50s &60s anyway). Rippling zithers agogo.

Manos Hadjikadis 100 songs (cds 1&2)
more rippling Greek stuff, yum.
Stevo
Harry Worth
Harry Worth
40 posts

Jun 07, 2009, 14:55
Elvis Costello's new one - Secret, Profane and Sugarcane

eels new one - Hombre Lobo (this is great, repeat plays)

Nuggets

Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan - Ballad of the Broken Seas

Blur - Leisure

and bloody Oasis and Kasabian through the windows each night as I live less than 1/2 mile from their gigs at Heaton Park in Manchester this weekend!!!!
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1706 posts

Jun 07, 2009, 19:16
This one started early! Half two Saturday afternoon- is that when we're meant to stop listening to music for the week. Have Sunday as a day of rest and silent meditation?

Well I've got freakzone on now and will be quietly reading this evening, so here's this weeks pretty old school playlist:

John Fahey- The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death
Genesis- Trespass
The Groundhogs- Split
The Pretty Things- Parachute
Bridget St John- Jumblequeen
V/A- Bumpers
Roxy Music- Manifesto
The Warlocks- The Mirror Explodes
Black Moth Super Rainbow- Eating Us
The Star Spangles- Bazooka!!!
Kathy Acker- Pussy (spoken word)
Seatown
71 posts

Edited Jun 07, 2009, 19:27
Jun 07, 2009, 19:25
A fairly contradictory set of choices.Not electic but instead reflect the way in which I compartmentalise my musical choices in my middle age years.Existential perhaps.

fOR MY ''soul'': Monteverdi Vespers...bullshit aside it is sublime and possibly could turn a believer out of you.

For my ass...KC and the Sunshine Band The TK Years.C'mmon Shake Shake Shake(Shake Your Booty)

The new Sunn one which I dig a lot...a cool stress buster.

John Martyn...Solid Air Deluxe ed
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Jun 07, 2009, 20:08
Oneida - Rated-O
been waiting for this for ages, got this on DL sampler before putting my hand in my pocket.
I've loved the 'O' since Cope big-uped 'Each One...' several years ago.
Got everything (well almost) they've done since, but gotta say,
not sure this should be a 3 record set. It'sa mite self indulgent and parts of it outstay their welcome by quite a bit. Not sat and listened intently, had it on in background whilst doing other stuff, but a few tracks work well. Parts of the 1st disc i had to check if it was indeed Oneida at all.
No problem with bands changing direction, but selling a half formed idea as a 'concept' is a little cheap. Here's hoping it grows on me. Still see em' live if they come around though, they're amazing on stage.

Iggy - Preliminaires
This is a fine nite drive album, not the best thing he's ever done, but deffo worth a listen. Better than the Weirdness and most of Skull Ring that's for sure.

Big Black - Peel Session
Had never heard (or more likely, don't remember) the track 'The Newman Generator', don't think it was ever 'officially' released. Damn fine track nontheless...now my BB collection is complete - ish!

Liars - Assorted B-Sides
Some nice chap has put all Liars B-sides onto a 2CD download. Some quality stuff on here, as well as those hard to find split 7" with various bands.
Got most of em' on vinyl TBH, but it was nice to mop up those rare and hard to find gems, plus, saves me the time as well.
A friend i write to swears he heard abut 9 tracks that are unreleased, and in a similar vein to 'They Threw Us In A Trench' era Liars. Maaan, i'd Luuuurve to track those babies down!

Skull Defekts - The Temple
Luurve Six Sixes the most, but the rest ain't to be sniffed at either.

Pajo - Scream With Me
Davey P does campfire versions of your fav' Misfits, tracks. Kinda works, but i'm starting to find it a bit samey now.

Oeresund Space Collective - Good Planets Are Hard To Find.
Ozrics type prog spaceyness. It's OK, inna 'heard it before' stylee. Still, well executed, and nice to chill to.

Not been much else TBH, not been a very musical week all told.
fauny fergus
fauny fergus
310 posts

Edited Jun 07, 2009, 22:09
Jun 07, 2009, 22:08
Ash Ra Tempel - s/t + Schwingungen + Seven Up + Join Inn + New Age of Earth

Julian Cope - Jehovakill

Current 93 - Horsey/Black Ships Ate the Sky

Mooseheart Faith Stellar Groove Band - Magic Square of the Sun (and I think I'm going to listen to it again right now)

Sylvester Anfang II - s/t (Not as immediately blown away as I hoped but it's growing on me quite quickly)

v/a - The Psychedelic Experience vols. 1+2

Coil - Winter Solstice: North

Sundial - Return Journey

that's pretty much been it apart from random tracks chosen by MediaMonkey
Saint Derek
Saint Derek
108 posts

Jun 07, 2009, 23:10
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Black Moth Super Rainbow- Eating Us

Is it any good Mr Wolfe? I'm still waiting for mine to drop thru the letterbox.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index