Yusef (Cat Stevens) on Colbert

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Yusef (Cat Stevens) on Colbert
May 15, 2009, 05:17
Well, all right... the guy's obviously become comfortable enough with himself and the world to go on the Colbert Report and laugh along with it all.

I'm really glad he's making music again. He's a soulful soul. And because of his history as an earnest western pop star, somehow, I do think he's going to be instrumental in helping to defuse the distrust between the Xtian/Secularist and Islamic spheres.

There's so many luminaries from his era that took the easy road. Tho I wouldn't ever consign myself to any proscribed faith, I somehow understand why he went the direction he did so many years ago. For a long time I think a lot of us were leery of that move. But I think it's pretty clear that he's not a fanatic. And he's come to terms and even re-embraced his born talents.

Nice to see his return to his 'old' world unfold.
meurglys III
meurglys III
1085 posts

Re: Yusef (Cat Stevens) on Colbert
May 15, 2009, 08:53
Yes but his new songs are rather bland aren't they?
Kid Calamity
9040 posts

Edited May 15, 2009, 08:58
May 15, 2009, 08:57
That song he did on 'Later...' was dreadful. The lyrics were simply embarrassing. Such a shame. When somebody you've been so fond of makes a long overdue comeback you really want them to have spent the downtime writing music that puts all the pretenders to their throne in the shade.
meurglys III
meurglys III
1085 posts

May 15, 2009, 09:21
Didn't see that but he was interviewed on Radio 2 last week & said his son suggested he record all the new songs he was playing around the house. So it's his fault.

My current guilty pleasure is that new Paulo Nutini one, "Candy". dunno why, but I like it...
Horseboy
2 posts

May 15, 2009, 09:32
Aye up. New here.

Reckon that Richard Thompson has been a much more dynamic and multi facited artist than Yusef in relation to a westerner with Muslim connections. Guess he would be less populist in terms of changing attitudes.
keith a
9564 posts

May 15, 2009, 10:49
meurglys III wrote:
Yes but his new songs are rather bland aren't they?

A lot of his old ones were, too, when you hear them again nowadays.

They certainly lacked the fun and spunk that The Tremeloes injected into this Stevens number!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bswxaeyQDFI

I must say his interviews have surprsed me. He now comes across a lot more 'geezer-like' that I anticipated. I thought he'd be sitting crossed legs talking altogether more pretentious bolloxy than he does.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

May 15, 2009, 21:06
I think he comes across nowadays as a guy who lived the pop star life, saw it for the illusion that it was, and moved on. For a time he turned his back on his past, but has reconciled with it.

I'm just saying it's good to see him warming back up to his gift and making peace with the secular world again.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

May 15, 2009, 21:56
Thompson doesn't really address his conversion much tho, does he? To the casual listener, there's pretty much NOTHING from his recent catalogue that refers to his adopted religion.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited May 16, 2009, 23:41
May 16, 2009, 23:37
I could never take to his 70s albums to be honest, although I loved this following song which brings back good childhood memories, plus- ...he should have avoided the acoustic guitar and hippie threads and stuck with the pop/mod stuff and developed it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG7woCQkGUw

:-)
keith a
9564 posts

May 16, 2009, 23:55
"This video is not available in your country. "

: (
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index