Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
New Brain Donor album - opinions here, please...

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dee
1955 posts

Re: New Brain Donor album - opinions here, please...
Feb 04, 2009, 23:39
I'll give it a listen tomorrow........gulp!
keith a
9572 posts

Re: New Brain Donor album
Feb 05, 2009, 00:42
I haven't played it all as yet, so wouldn't normally offer an opinion, but...

As someone who has been a fan of the great man for 30 yrs I'll generally defend Cope most things but I'm struggling on this one. And coming after Black Sheep, probably his best album in a while, the timing of this release is kinda baffling. No, the fact that he wants to release this at all seems rather baffling.

The opening track starts with that thunder effect Cope seems so fond of. Admittedly this is not really my genre that this operating in, but it starts fairly interesting though it soon reached the point where I started longing for the good old days when record companies exercised some control over their artists so someone could tell Julian to stop titting around and aquandering his talent.

2nd track - again not a bad riff to open things up, but then...oh dear. A few mins in and it sounds like some clueless teenagers practising 70's style rock in their parents garage.

Track 3 - dead short. Thankfully as it features the type of guitar playing that should result in offenders having their hands chopped off.

That's as far as I've got so far. And yes, I have played it loud.

I can't say I'm exactly looking forward to hearing the rest - those snappy early BD 45's seem a long time ago. Gotta say I preferred it when Julian tried to re-live his youth by collecting toy cars than by re-gurgitating his early 70's record collection.
Nikinakinoo
Nikinakinoo
1281 posts

Feb 05, 2009, 01:06
dee wrote:
Its not like you to not like Cope, Carlos!! I havent received mine yet, so i can offer no opinion.....yet!

ahem, cough, cough. It wasn't like me to not like Cope, before, either. But I will still give a try, in case I'm missing out on something that my ears think are wonderful.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Feb 05, 2009, 01:25
I'll wait until a download is available.
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Re: SpaceShip
Feb 05, 2009, 06:54
machineryelf wrote:
same here, nice one, the ending of the first track is wonderful.

btw was it you who was doing the cd with High Mountain Tempel, if so make sure you let us know when it comes out, that could be absolutely stunning

No that's me.....We've just finished the first track..........
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: SpaceShip
Feb 05, 2009, 07:36
earthlingfred93 wrote:
machineryelf wrote:
same here, nice one, the ending of the first track is wonderful.

btw was it you who was doing the cd with High Mountain Tempel, if so make sure you let us know when it comes out, that could be absolutely stunning

No that's me.....We've just finished the first track..........

whoops, getting my Earthlings mixed up with my Spaceships, Spaceship reminded me of Buzz or Howl a bit, which isn't a bad thing

Goodluck with High Mountain Tempel, and do let us know when it's finished

Quite chuffed as i just managed to pick up a copyof the Kawabata/Maquiladora cd, so it's groovy guitar ambience allround these parts
dee
1955 posts

Feb 05, 2009, 08:32
Mmmmmm....Im enjoying it! Gonna put it on da headphones for on the bus to work (hell).........
dee
1955 posts

Feb 05, 2009, 10:31
I love it.......Yow!
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Feb 05, 2009, 10:44
Well I stood at the sink with cpl of days worth of dishes to do
(we don't have a dish washer cuz we is skint! or should I say skinflinTS!)

I checked out all the cope blurB and who he had playing on it as I always do in true stOner fashion. I must admit I do love the cover and the whole lay out of this new braiNed Donor album. Nice!

I Put it on proper loud and it wasn't tOo bad actually. One deffo has to be in a mellowed out frame of mind for this one to really get the trIp!

It didn't seem tOo DoOmed out and I was getting bitz of groundhOgs, which is a great ting to have in your music! Even verging on Psychedelic melt down. Its a grower me thinks & although I am no fan of SLOW slow sludge ouT metal there is more of Cope trance than Sludge going on here.

This is a trippy album and I'm liking the experimentation of it. I was a little worried it may be a sludged out Kettamin yawn, but it wasn't.
And it took me on a Cope journey, which is always a good ting.

I will deffo be giving this strange album a good few plays for I feel there is a lot to discover here.

Without meaning to sound like a sycophantic nobend ... I dig the trIP!

7 OUT OF 10!

(((bRAINed MorOn)))
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 05, 2009, 10:50
ah, OK. From your comments it sounds right up my street, from Keith and Carlos' comments it sounds not-at-all up my street. I wonder which it is?!
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index