Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2008, 10:32
Re: Prog, Marx and Elitism
Dec 03, 2008, 10:11
Dog 3000 wrote:
Sorry for having sat out this discussion -- without having read any other responses, I'd just point out all that "Marxist" stuff is again a very European way of looking at it. Class is "different" in the New World.

True true but if I had to put money on which of our two continents would suffer an armed revolutionary uprising in one of its major cities first it wouldn't be Europe (and I am not talking about the Quebecois either!).

From 3000 miles away, and this is a gross generalisation, it seems your class issues are in reverse to ours - that being too smart or too well bred is a handicap - at least when seeking public office etc - and that anti-elitism, anti-leftism and anti-intellectualism are bound up with a latent anti-semitism. In other words that "thought" (in the philisophical sense) is an untrustworthy European import. Which is nonsense when you look at America's vast cultural and academic legacy but would that in some way add up to something of a very general reverse class system? As I say that's a 3000 mile vision with something short of 20-20 so feel free to shoot that down.

In music you have a great leftist and poetic tradition and your folk music tends to be much more about the here-and-now than ours, which tends to look back a lot more. Our prog was fairly nostalgic and utopian in its outlook. Is there a connection there?

I am just interested in what way class is different and how that impacts on music.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index