Any American Prog Experts?

83 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Prog, Marx and Elitism
Nov 27, 2008, 22:46
That was the first usage of the name Jefferson Starship. It was a solo project recorded during the existence of the Airplane, though I think the main bands drummers had just changed. I think the good stuff by JA is pretty much all with Spencer Dryden who is one drummer I think generally stands out anyway.

There were a couple of years where JA were still going and had their custom label Grunt running. There are several other related projects on there that are similar, possibly better. This mainly because they're more song based. If you like Blows you should check out Baron Von Tollbooth & The Chrome Nun which is pretty similar & has a lot of the same side players. Main people being Paul Kantner & Grace slick for whom nicknames provided by David Crosby provide the title, there's also David Freiberg ex QMS in a central role plus Jerry Garcia etc adding guitars on several tracks.
David Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name is somewhat similar though since Crosby's in central role also somewhat different. I think it's been discussed elsewhere in the thread and there's a review in the review section here(though I think it thought the lp was mainly acoustic when it's mainly electric as far as I can hear). There's a great Crosby/various Dead members bootleg from December 70 that has several of the same tracks played live plus a delicious version of Graham Nash's song The Wall. that boot goes by various names, I think the most popular is David & the Dorks.

A lot of this music will be covered by articles talking about P.E.R.R.O as has been URLed elsewhere. There are several bootlegs of various recording sessions related to the overall project. i have several of them if you want. I owe you for that MX-80 Sound disc, don't I?
stevo
Np Henry Cow Freedom Rome In The Belly Of The Beast
(got this on SonicStage so it's wound up being played a couple of times today. Looking forward to the Reccommended label box sets for more of this stuff in pristine sound plus the dvd which I've been hoping for for years)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index