Any American Prog Experts?

83 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
gogmagog
176 posts

Edited Nov 25, 2008, 21:11
Re: Any American Prog Experts?
Nov 23, 2008, 18:45
the americans really have no INDIVIDUAL take ON PROG - in my opinion - only derivative takes on the European model; PROG being, first and foremost, a quintessentailly EUROPEAN sensibility (not quintessentially ENGLISH, tho it is that too!),

[maybe its a quintessentially ENGLISH take on European late-romantic classicism, mixed with rock, jazz, and avant-garde idioms].

But, that said, there IS some good American stuff out there - although you really have to search for it - and trial'n'error is responsible for a sizeable number of black holes in my wage packets thru the years:

BUT - off the top of my head, in terms of SEVENTIES stuff:

You definietely wanna get a grip of RAM's 1972 Lp on Polydor, "Where: in Conclusion" 1972 (see my HH review for more),

Quite Golden Earring-like at times (which ain't a bad thing in my book) but reaching into Floyd, Purple, and even a Bernard Paganotti-like bass solo which has to be heard to be believed - the 20min full-sider stands with anything I've heard from the English prog scene (Although its not complex prog, its very atmospheric).

also:

YEZDA URFA's BORIS, or is it, BORIS' YEZDA URFA (1975) - either way they are the US Gentle Giant, by way of ELP (at times)

HAPPY THE MAN's first self-titled Lp (ARISTA) (78? is it??). This is a great album I think, and, in parts, quite dark at times.

COME - ONE (1972) is this one of the Grunt Lp's you refer to Stevo? This is a brilliant piece of work - equal parts prog and psych - and would have been what The Manson family would have sounded like if a) they were NICE people and b) musically talented!

In terms of the Quebec/Canadian stuff you must know HARMONIUM IanB?
Their Les cinq Saisons Lp is a MASTERPIECE of pastoral prog!!! In fact, its so pastoral it makes Trespass-era Genesis sound like the fucking Human League!!

STEER CLEAR OF GABRIREL BONDAGE

PLUS there is the panoply of recent US bands, MARS VOLTA, GRAILS, VETIVER, and all that malarkey.

regards,

GOGMAGOG
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index