83 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Any American Prog Experts?
Nov 23, 2008, 16:10
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

I'm certainly no expert, and I guess they're not really prog, but Paul Kantner's 'Blows Against the Empire' and 'Sunfighter' LPs spring to mind, for their quasi-pastoral utopianism, revolutionary politics and sci-fi take on American frontier spirit.

That was what i was referring to above as the early Grunt label stuff. JA were granted a custom label by their main label & put out several items along those lines. I had Baron von Tollbooth & The Chrome Nun running through my head as I wrote the above & there are a few tracks on that that verge on the prog.
But yeah, there's a lot of the Marin County material from right around then 70-73ish that seems to verge on that. Don't know if that's exactly co-existent/spatial to the PERRO stuff or if there's anything it doesn't quite cover.

Would also cite Relatively Clean Rivers who were definitely into the getting away to the country thing. They were apparently so anti mainstream capitalism that they would stick lps in unsuspecting record store racks without telling the owners. Not sure how that worked out if somebody picked up the lp concerned, or if they were stickered as free.

There's also the band Mu, the Captain Beefheart/Merrell fankhauser spinoff band who relocated to a commune in Hawaii. A lot of their material has a sci fi theme, other stuff is somewhat animist which might tie in with Walt Whitman.
Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index