83 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Nov 23, 2008, 12:18
Re: Any American Prog Experts?
Nov 23, 2008, 12:04
Thanks one and all. I've tried the Kansas, Dixie Dregs end of the street and been underwhelmed. And I know more than is entirely necessary about the Canadian scene.

There is deinitely a connection between the artwork of Roger Dean and that of the 60s electric Miles records, the costumes of Parliament and Art Ensemble of Chicago and the whole shtick of Sun Ra. It's (to be reductive) about space utopianism - one born out of English Romanticism, occultism and Hermetecism and the other out of the politics of race and a refocusing of pre Christian African history and culture. And they both have, beyond nationality, the space race era in common.

However there isn't that much shared in the actual music. And the US progressive psych scene seems to me to have a lot in common with Krautrock and the likes of Faust and Can but not much at all in common with English Prog.

I guess what I am wondering is if there is American music that idealised the countryside and dealt in a sort of pre-industrial utopian vision the way a lot of the (non Marxist / Spartist) English bands did?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index