Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Oct 17, 2008, 11:12
Re: Quo
Oct 17, 2008, 11:01
Oh I didn't mean musically.

Queen are a rock band for people who don't want to rock. Period end.

BUT FM certainly had that big stage arrogance. That's something we've definitely lost - lead singers with the ability to take command of a huge audience and manipulate it. Freddie definitely knew how to live and play the part. Which was even more annoying given that the music was closer to Pilot than Plant! If he's looked and behaved like Roger whatsit out of Supertramp then the Queen thing would have fizzled not long after News of the World. Mercury's pomp skills kept the air in the balloon.

Hard to think of too many around today, even yer Eddie Veders are a bit apologetic about the job of being a lead singer. Rock audiences need a proper seeing to - that's part of the fun. All that "you're the greatest rock n roll town in the world", "I've bust a button on me trousers", "any girls with a little bit of Irish in them" stuff included.

Chris Robinson is a great lead singer but that's all in the voice. The chap from The Darkness was a pretty good front man / stooge but embarassment seems to be the big lead singer disease these days rather than Coverdale-esque tight trousered stuff.

Shame really. Another art lost to a misplaced sense of artistic correctness.

Which is why any Cope ticket is worth every penny. One of the last of the few.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index