NWOBHM

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Sep 17, 2008, 18:32
Re: NWOBHM
Sep 17, 2008, 18:24
Little Richard released a record called whose main lyrical thrust was "A WAP BAP A LOOLA A WAP BAM BOOO!", it's still a great tune.

Anyhoo, Sleeping Gas vs Love Hunter? 'Tis possible to like both y'know. And leave us not forget that chap that wrote and sang Sleeping Gas is a bit partial to dressing up and rocking out these days. See, it gets everyone in the end.

And it will you too.......
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Sep 17, 2008, 18:39
Moon Cat wrote:
Anyhoo, Sleeping Gas vs Love Hunter? 'Tis possible to like both y'know.

Hoorah to that!!!

love

Moth
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 17, 2008, 18:40
Just don't be a Gas Hunter baby - don't sound too nice. (Unless one likes that sort of thing)
Gnostic Almighty
Gnostic Almighty
236 posts

Edited Sep 17, 2008, 19:17
Sep 17, 2008, 19:07
http://www.nwobhm.info/nwobhm/

Just found this ... it certainly brings a tear to my eye looking at some of the groups listed.

... Girlschool ... Fist ... Demon (are they still going?) ... Vermillion

All good, innocent stuff IMO.

I remember first hearing Iron Maiden's Soundhouse Tapes and thinking that they were rockers trying to be punk, then (I think about a fortnight later), Praying Mantis release Soundhouse Tapes Part 2, and I thought they were going to be huge. Captured City and Johnny Cool were two of the three tracks.

So much for me being a music pundit ... back to the day job.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: The NWOBHM era phone game.
Sep 17, 2008, 19:25
This is for fellow saddoes. A few years ago a fellow old skool metal head chum and I had a reminisce about about old issues of Kerrang and, in particular, the old ads for the semi-legendary Shades Records in Soho's Wardour Street. We waxed lyrical about how they would say things like "Angelwitch! Huge! Buy or Die!" or, "NEW! Jaguar! buy or FOAD!". And, if a new example of a particular sub-genre came along that they rated they'd say stuff like "Candlemass! The most immense doom album ever! Delete Witchfinder General!"

So, for some reason, this spontaneous and utterly pointless game started where we would, if texting each other, attempt to end the sent text with the most obsure 'Delete..." ever i.e "Delete Bitches Sin!". Of course, seeing that we ran out of bands years ago.... we are still doing this....the rules of engagement have been altered so that contemporary prog bands (Say, Pendragon), glam-metal bands (RATT et al), Southern Rockers ( 38 Special etc al) hard core bands (Circle Jerks) and more were allowed if the sendee initiated the genre. Naturally we have repeated ourselves loads but if a name is sufficiently amusing and enough time has elapsed since first entered then it can be used again. My mate texted me once saying he was at the till in the supermarket when he started giggling like an eejit cos I'd just ended a text to him with "Delete Molly Hatchet"
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Sep 17, 2008, 19:31
Moon Cat wrote:
Just don't be a Gas Hunter baby - don't sound too nice. (Unless one likes that sort of thing)

It's a major pass time in red half of Bristol!
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Sep 17, 2008, 19:32
Moon Cat wrote:
ANyhoo, the big hit of Here I Go Again was the 87 version. The original not quite as big hit (about 83?) was miles better, but that 'snake was miles better too. Coverdale with fugly bluesrock men and brown hair - good. Blonde and MTV friendly sessioneers..baaaad

Well yes DC was a lot better as an inauthentic bluesman (with Lord and Paice to keep him on the straight n narrow) than an authentic asshole.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 17, 2008, 19:39
Sep 17, 2008, 19:38
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

BTW Here We Go Again was Ray Charles. Here I Go Again was by Whitesnake and they were crap by the time they had a hit with that song.

Apologies to Ray for bringing him into things!

But when were they good exactly? This is a band, remember, who released an album entitled Love Hunter in the same year as the Teardrop Explodes released Sleeping Gas.

I know what I was listening to!

As Mooncat rghtly points out the early 80s version of that song trounces its 1987 re-record.

You have to be a bit of a softy for blues rock tight trouser business but the live album is a corker of its kind - up there with "Live & Dangerous". "Made In Japan" and Humble Pie "Rocking The Filmore" etc.

The Purps line up with Hughes and Coverdale was really good on its day but if you want to hear the number one, shining, solid gold justification for all things punk then the Liverpool 76 Purple bootleg speaks louder than a million Wakeman on Ice spectaculars. One listen has been known to make hardened coke heads give up the white powders for good! Possibly the worst rock recording ever made.
keith a
9565 posts

Sep 17, 2008, 20:36
Moon Cat wrote:

Sleeping Gas vs Love Hunter? 'Tis possible to like both y'know.

I'll let you into a secret, Moonie.

(Look away folks...)

I liked Doctor Doctor by UFO at the time. And I saw both Rainbow (wanted to see Blackmore live) and Girlschool (quite liked them TBH) in back then, so I hardly had a closed mind.

But Whitesnake...
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Sep 17, 2008, 21:11
Sep 17, 2008, 21:11
keith a wrote:

I liked Doctor Doctor by UFO at the time. And I saw both Rainbow (wanted to see Blackmore live) and Girlschool (quite liked them TBH)

Heathen.

x
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index