Re: NWOBHM
Sep 17, 2008, 11:01
If I have to explain it then you'll never understand \m/
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Sep 17, 2008, 11:04
bah. For a minute there I thought you had the key to the secrets of the universe.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Sep 17, 2008, 12:56
Moon Cat wrote:
Although bands like Budgie weren't 'new' even at the time, it is fair to say that they, and other bands of a similar vintage, did benefit hugely from the NWOBHM. Bands like Rainbow, Gillan, Whitesnake, UFO, Judas Priest and even Wishbone Ash all enjoyed renewed interest from being name-checked as influences by the newer bands and, in some cases, had actual, proper hit singles! Budgie even went on to headline the Reading festival one year, when it was at the height of it's denim-cut offs and patches period.

One of the odd highlights for me at the time was the often quite odd sight of a rock/metal band like Gillan or Whitesnake suddenly appearing on Top of The Pops 'performing' their hit and being surrounded by the often bewildered studio audience shuffling about sort-of-dancing with perhaps a few at the front showing some initiative and attempting a polite head bang. And as one of the few metal-heads at school I was often required to explain "what on earth was that all about?!" the next day from inquiring and bemused class-mates.

I don't altogether agree with the first bit of that, Moonie - tho I do agree with it about Budgie funnily enough, as I do think they'd been a bit forgotten.

With most of the others, I'm unconvinced that it was a result of NWOBHM, esp the Purple spin-offs - I think they all still had plenty of followers anyway.

love

Moth
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Sep 17, 2008, 13:48
Sep 17, 2008, 13:47
No doubts they all had a following, but certainly for me, at that age, it was as a result of exposure in things like Sounds and subequently Kerrang that championed the NWOBHM, that the likes of Gillan, Rainbow et al came to my attention. Even Hawkwind have said that the NWOBHM helped their profile (it also made them a heavier band at that time IMO). And if you think about it, things like Donington Monsters of Rock, that put such bands on, were post NWOBHM, or at least a result of the resurgence of rock. KISS also did well out of it - their 1980 post NWOBHM British tour was far better recieved than their first jaunt across the Atlantic.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Sep 17, 2008, 14:19
Again, I agree with a lot of what you say!

Moon Cat wrote:
No doubts they all had a following, but certainly for me, at that age, it was as a result of exposure in things like Sounds and subequently Kerrang that championed the NWOBHM, that the likes of Gillan, Rainbow et al came to my attention.

Mebbe that's the difference between our perceptions - I first heard all that stuff at around that time, but thru older mates playing me them - entirely independent of NWOBHM.

It's interesting tho - coz me & me mates got into rock around that time but seperately from NWOBHM, I've always felt that the importance of NWOBHM was overestimated/hyped at the time - and in retrospect.

Perhaps I've been seeing it from a slightly skewed view, just as a result of my personal experiences....

love

Moth
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 17, 2008, 15:43
It probably is a difference based on our experiences. Funny thing is, in terms of impact and influence the NWOBHM is definitely resonating in a way I wouldn't have expected today, beyond its initial impact - A lot of the extreme black/death metal bands of today refer to some of the classic, and even some of the most obscure bands from that era as inspirations and influences, and amidst all the WOOOOOOAAAAAARGH, I must admit I can hear what they mean.

Also, I think the things that NWOBHM (fed up of typing that!) took from punk i.e indie labels, raw production etc, has in turn fed into the current crop of metal bands out there on the fringes. The fact that labels are re-releasing old and obscure albums and/or compilations from back in the day seems this bear this out too. I presume they wouldn't do it if the interest wasn't there to begin with.

\m/
Mule
Mule
588 posts

Sep 17, 2008, 15:50
Went into Flashback on Essex Road the other day, and some guy had asked to hear an original vinyl copy of Raven's 'Wiped Out'. Couldn't belive how fresh it sounded. At the time, I thought it was a bit disappointing after 'Rock Until You Drop', which I still own and am very fond of.

One of my favourite NWOBHM memories was May '80 at the Lyceum, with Tygers OPT (who became shit as soon as Jon Sykes joined)headlining over Diamond Head (possibly their first London show?) Horsepower, some post-'Hogs Tony McPhee project, and the ubiquitous Angelwitch.

I think it's really sad that none of the classic bands have managed to really capitalise on the praise heaped on them by newcomers such as Metallica. Sorry, but a Diamond Head without Sean Harris is not Diamond Head. Maddening, but true. In fact, even without Colin Kimberley and Duncan Scott. Here's one for a Don't Look Back gig: the original Diamond Head doing 'Lightning To The Nations'. Or, the original Vardis doing '100 MPH' - possibly the greatest live album of all time.
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Sep 17, 2008, 16:32
All certainly true!

love

Moth
Mule
Mule
588 posts

Sep 17, 2008, 17:23
Where is Steve Zodiac now, anybody know?
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index