NWOBHM

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Beebon
1375 posts

Re: NWOBHM
Sep 13, 2008, 11:46
No!

They are great, if you can track down the CD, then get it!!
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Sep 13, 2008, 21:34
Yeah!

got the reet thread!

Guess what!?

Super Rams win at last!

YES!
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Sep 13, 2008, 22:59
machineryelf wrote:

Riot-us rockers ,same era first three albums are classic, then the singer left anfd they got some dork in

Bet your life on silver ball, spin it round the wheel! always a floor filler at Newcastle Mayfair when I was a nipper
machineryelf
3679 posts

Sep 14, 2008, 08:56
Wa-hey you must have been in overdrive

unfortunately for me by the time i hit the Mayfair I had become a musical snob and found it all a bit Motley Crue, but it was a great night out IIRC
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Sep 14, 2008, 09:48
It was the Sunday night under 18s thing, always remember there was some kid used to turn up dressed as Angus Young, either that or he was just looking forward to school the next morning
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Sep 14, 2008, 14:31
Beautiful Day wrote:
It was the Sunday night under 18s thing, always remember there was some kid used to turn up dressed as Angus Young, either that or he was just looking forward to school the next morning

riotmaster!?
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Sep 15, 2008, 12:52
zphage wrote:
Beautiful Day wrote:

riotmaster!?

Ha!
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Sep 17, 2008, 06:01
And how could I have forgotten Diamond Head's Lightning To The Nations? A real classic. For years the only Diamond Head I had was that compilation Am I Evil, which had cool cover art [inspiration for Dethklok's train abode?], but was mostly kinda lame except for the song Am I Evil, which had a mix that was a bit anaemic. The mix on Lightning To The Nations is better [unless I just have an exaggerated memory of the sound on the comp.], and most of the other songs are total classics. A NWOBHM cornerstone! But I bet most of you already knew that.
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Re: NWOBHM - RAVEN
Sep 17, 2008, 06:04
Sounds like - ironically - they were popular in the US at the time they started to get a bit crap. The first three albums are less commercial and, a lot of the time, totally OTT! The first is the best of what I've heard - as I said I'll do a review of it soon and post it here, as I love it :-)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 17, 2008, 10:51
Although bands like Budgie weren't 'new' even at the time, it is fair to say that they, and other bands of a similar vintage, did benefit hugely from the NWOBHM. Bands like Rainbow, Gillan, Whitesnake, UFO, Judas Priest and even Wishbone Ash all enjoyed renewed interest from being name-checked as influences by the newer bands and, in some cases, had actual, proper hit singles! Budgie even went on to headline the Reading festival one year, when it was at the height of it's denim-cut offs and patches period.

One of the odd highlights for me at the time was the often quite odd sight of a rock/metal band like Gillan or Whitesnake suddenly appearing on Top of The Pops 'performing' their hit and being surrounded by the often bewildered studio audience shuffling about sort-of-dancing with perhaps a few at the front showing some initiative and attempting a polite head bang. And as one of the few metal-heads at school I was often required to explain "what on earth was that all about?!" the next day from inquiring and bemused class-mates.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index