NWOBHM

Pages: 14 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

NWOBHM
Sep 10, 2008, 17:23
Haven't delved into this scene in a while. Have all my Sounds, MM, NyRockers, Nme, Trouser Press, etc of the time.

I see there is a 3 volume Neat records set.

Also 3cd Lightning To All Nations

And Lars Ulrich 2cd set

Castle/Sanctuary has done an excellent job collecting/releasing complete band's works.

It is amazing how many of these bands there were, definitely a traditional 'rockstar' dream in reaction to punk. Yet such bad luck befell so many. Never getting out of gate after first single or album, some not having the material. Some that did have the material just could not keep it together.

All in all some great tunes, and great playing.

Any recommendations?
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Edited Sep 11, 2008, 11:00
Re: NWOBHM
Sep 10, 2008, 17:33
The NEAT singles set is great fun.

EDIT: Black Ice by Aragorn is so cliched and stupid that it touches on inspirational genius. I think it's the only thing they did worth listening to a second time and it was the A side of their debut single. The heights and the depths on one side of a 7 inch single - tragedy in three and a half minutes.
Beebon
1375 posts

Sep 10, 2008, 22:22
Pagan Altar - Volume 1

Witchfynde - Give 'Em Hell
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Edited Sep 11, 2008, 03:46
Sep 11, 2008, 03:45
There was a lot of very cool stuff on Neat, much of which I'm belatedly discovering.
Anyway, some recommendations...
*Venom - Welcome to Hell; Black Metal; At War With Satan
*Raven - Rock Until You Drop [I'll have to do an Unsung review on that one soon!]; Wiped Out; All For One [some folks credit this Raven (not to be confused with the US mid-70's band) as inventing speed metal, and although you might come up with earlier examples of the genre (Night Sun anyone?) they certainly beat Canada's Exciter to the punch (Exciter think they invented it - they seem like nice guys, but sorry, they're wrong)]
*Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
*Holocaust - Live: Hot Curry and Wine [not 100% great, but there's some classics here, especially 'The Small Hours' which was covered by Metallica on Garage Days Revisited]
*Witchfynde - Give 'Em Hell
*Angel Witch - s/t
*Cloven Hoof - s/t [a couple of tracks are a bit lame/mainstreamy hard rock, the rest is classic stuff with a Venom influence]
*Sabbat - History of a Time To Come [not sure if this counts, being circa '88, but it's a killer]
*Warfare - Metal Anarchy [Venom meets the Exploited?]
*Samson - Survivors [not really a modern metal sound, but still, a better album than some folks rate it as being]
*Tank - Filth Hounds of Hades [kinda between Motorhead and Venom - and produced by Fast Eddie Clarke! A couple of tracks suck a bit but mostly pretty good stuff]
Shelby Mustang
Shelby Mustang
605 posts

Sep 11, 2008, 07:18
i always loved the 'tygers of Pan Tang' song 'making tracks' was it?

and john peel always played 'Angelwitch' between sets at Reading Rock which got the mass of dirty hairy motherfuckers that used to frequent the gig going.

don't know what the paisley welly brigade would make of the song being played between razorlight and coldplay. might make 'em all fuck then and there on the floor. which would be something to behold !
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Sep 11, 2008, 12:19
Sep 11, 2008, 10:34
"Angelwitch" by Angelwitch (The CD re-release has lots of exta stuff including their best tune IMO Baphomet which was on the seminal 'Metal For Mutha's Vol 1' Compilation)
"Rock 'til You Drop" Raven
"Spellbound" Tygers of Pan Tang
"Iron Maiden" Iron Maiden (Yeah I know they're huge now but the debut IS a NWOBHM classic)
"Demolition" Girlschool
"Praying Mantis" Praying Mantis, for more melodic fare
"British Steel" Judas Priest (They'd been going for years but this came out at the same time as the NWOBHM and is Brit Metal in excelsis. Plus it also features probably the best use of a tray of cutlery in metal))
"Rocks Off" (single) Def Leppard. Pre mega US success, a top tune on their own indie label and another unlikely John Peel fave.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Re: NWOBHM - RAVEN
Sep 11, 2008, 13:32
did i imagine it, or did Raven become really popular in the USA for a while back in the 80s ?
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Sep 11, 2008, 14:25
Budgie
UFO
Diamond Head
Samuel Prody
Zior

Try my "Release the Grease" compilations here :

http://rebelbass.blogspot.com/2007/11/release-grease-4.html

http://fattyghettoblaster.googlepages.com/radiorebelbass

For some dandruff shaking good stuff
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Re: NWOBHM - RAVEN
Sep 11, 2008, 15:02
riotmaster wrote:

did i imagine it, or did Raven become really popular in the USA for a while back in the 80s ?

They were on Atlantic for three albums in mid to late 80's. Hard gigging, but solidly second tier, probably averaged 200k-300k units an album.

Never got mainstream radio play despite very commercial sound.

Kinda like Kix always bubbling under,constantly touring, never getting the next level.
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Sep 11, 2008, 15:07
diamond head, YEAH!
Pages: 14 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index