Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Rock careers and the end of music!
Aug 29, 2008, 13:42
I love buying all these digitally remastered shiny new reissues that are coming out these days, then sticking them into iTunes and degrading them so much they sound like a dalek in a tin can. Modern technology is bonkers sometimes.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Aug 29, 2008, 14:13
Can't it be both ?

Is inverted snobbery the future of culture ?
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: a feeling : no really new music can be recorded any more.
Aug 29, 2008, 15:07
I think there can only be something new and fresh if people rethink how they compose and present music. Developments in software and hardware often signals new stuff ahead (as well as the token novelty record) and presenting music combinations different from the traditional (drums, two guitars, vocals etc) can often be fresh for a short time.

In the long term, I believe the world is moving towards music being created and consumed by and for the benefit only of the individual listener and often with no audience to hear it, even friends etc. There's more than enough stuff out there - people are condensing what they think is the best of it all and mixing it together or whatever for their own needs. People don't need artists anymore when there is a saturated history of sound and music which can be remixed, re-edited, fucked up, shifted, etc to your own needs. DJs showing off their collections are becoming a thing of the past with people downloading instant archives of music via blogs. Lots of people now own digital file record collections as large as John Peel's vinyl collection and beyond their wildest dreams but they don't know what to do with them.

8)
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Aug 29, 2008, 15:13
stray wrote:
Can't it be both ?

I think it can.

With the entertainment thing, I was thinking of those for whom music is just entertainment - to sing along to, to dance to, to pass a tedious journey. If the beat is there, the tune/lyric is audible and the melody comes through, that's all some people want.

stray wrote:

I had to look up inverted snobbery.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Aug 29, 2008, 15:23
"Lots of people now own digital file record collections as large as John Peel's vinyl collection and beyond their wildest dreams but they don't know what to do with them."

as large a collection of vinyl, tape and CDs that I have - I always make it a priority (common sense basically) that everything I get I hear at least once.

I do sense that much of these large digital collections are chosen on immediate whims and that much of it, though owned by the listener, will remain unheard forever..
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Aug 29, 2008, 15:33
Aug 29, 2008, 15:32
Vybik Jon wrote:
stray wrote:
Can't it be both ?

I think it can.

With the entertainment thing, I was thinking of those for whom music is just entertainment - to sing along to, to dance to, to pass a tedious journey. If the beat is there, the tune/lyric is audible and the melody comes through, that's all some people want.

stray wrote:

I had to look up inverted snobbery.

Ha, look it up, fuck you, doesn't this schtick ever get old for you ?

I think you're making a horrible judgment there though. I mean christ, do you think some people can't pass a tedious journey listening to a drone ? Or that there are some people who don't like listening to anything with a melody or audible lyric ever, at all ? Or that there is a definite demarcation between people who think of music as art, and those who just use it as a bit of background noise ? Newsflash : We can do both you know. I'll happily dance to something predictable and easy on the ears and my ass, complete with a righteous diva belting out some words I can actually hear. Honest. Why make a value judgment on people and their relationship to music at all ?

Seriously. What the fuck are you saying ?
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Aug 29, 2008, 15:34
Yeah I'm guilty of that one. What's it's done for me though is have a bad effect. I'm sick to death of music in general and feel saturated to the point where nothing musically excites me anymore. I find I can't listen to a whole track but spend a listening hour pulling CD's or files out to listen to a section/ guitar break/ intro/ bit of whatever, discarding it and the next minute another bit of a track. Think I need to get back to the days of only having a few albums. Things were so much easier!

The only thing I find a bit interesting about music at the moment is trying to mash stuff together.

8)
stray
stray
2057 posts

Aug 29, 2008, 15:43
Start making videos mate :).
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Aug 29, 2008, 15:43
What I was saying was prompted by a comment at the end of a post by Dog 3000 where he appeared dismayed that people listen to their music via ipods and tiny earphones. My response was only to that and I was suggesting that some people are quite content with that, whether that's all the time or some of the time.

I'm not saying it's the way to go or not to go.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Aug 29, 2008, 15:55
...I've been thinking of trying that to accompany some music stuff I've done recently and putting future stuff out on DVD.

8)
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index