IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 13, 2008, 16:50
Re: Bass. How hard can it be ?
Aug 13, 2008, 16:49
Five wrote:
IanB wrote:
. Not being able to play and choosing to play simple are two very different things.

I agree for sure! And I can also generally appreciate both, though a middle way is usually my preference.

Ever hear the story about Miles Davis (allegedly) playing a recording for some high-society types of a bunch of kids playing around with musical instruments, telling them first that it was his new album? They LOVED it, assuming that if the Miles had recorded it, then it must be the THANG! (I have heard the same story told about other folks, though, so who knows what there is to it...)

Also comes to mind the recordings made in various asylums which (supposedly - I haven't heard them myself) resemble pre-commercial tribal music of various kinds

Myself, it's always a struggle between technique and theory being more of a guide than I really want them to be on the one hand, and being capable of doing what I want to do (on the other)... Could probably write a small book about that

That's a small book I would read.

Some of the best musical fun I have had in recent years was at a Japanese art exhibit at the Hayward three or four years back where one of the artists had a big rug laid out with instruments all over it and visitors were encouraged to just pick up whatever they fancied and join in the improv.

With the beneift of hindsight I now assume that he was taping / fliming the whole thing but playing music with a moving pool of non musicians and non English speakers topped most of the formal musical improv "happenings" that I have been involved in. Was just as satisfying as playing behind Damo. Though no less stressful in the early stages where you are feeling around for some common ground.

Playing a melodica trio with a couple of Japanese tourists was something I'd love to have on tape. They were beautiful players. Like a pair of ultra intuitive mini-skirted Don Cherrys.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index