IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 12, 2008, 11:55
Re: Bass. How hard can it be ?
Aug 12, 2008, 11:13
Squid Tempest wrote:
IanB wrote:
There's a lot to be said for the happy accidents that come with approaching an instrument with no preconceptions but at some point you have to learn to play the damn thing so that you can get the ideas in your head out into the open and, if you are dealing in conventional western harmony, you might as well learn something about that too. If only so you know which rules you want to break and why.

It's the great failing of English rock and roll since 1976 (and why we turn out so many one record wonders) that people confuse absence of facility on an instrument with some kind of noble and naive primitivism. Not being able to play and choosing to play simple are two very different things.

I don't think you don't need to learn music formally to "get the ideas in your head out into the open". I've never learned to read music, or anything formal about harmony or melody. Instead (coming up via the punk/reggae route originally), I learned to sort of play by ear*. It works for me, although, admittedly, I'm not sure how many people would call me a good bass player!

*Actually I play with my fingers.

Well you know you don't need to be able to read music (I can't) but given how much music is based on modes and scales knowing what's what in that department is bloody useful. It's mathematical, somewhat geometric for anyone playing a stringed instrument and a bit arcane at times but it's the root of pretty much everything.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index