The Clash. The Best band ever ?

84 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9570 posts

Re: The Clash. The Best band ever ?
Jul 29, 2008, 16:40
Dog 3000 wrote:
I think the 80's was the highpoint of what you might call "DIY rock" -- how "punk" some of it was is debatable, but I know that when I was a kid Black Flag was the ULTIMATE hardcore punk band, and The Clash was basically Rolling Stone Magazine-approved classic rock for college kids. (I think a lot of the "London 1977" punk was more about fashion anyway. The best UK "punk" records were actually made a couple years later -- Gang of Four, Wire, Joy Division . . . )

I think you've got a different interpretation of what 'punk' was to what we have over here (or what I have anyway!). I've never thought of GO4 or Joy Division were 'punk'. They were what came next.

'Punk' was effectively over by 1978, '79 at the latest. Joy Division might have come from the punk scene, but that doesn't make Closer a punk record. Were Black Flag really 'punk'? Or were they hardcore or whatever other label you'd like to use? 'Punk' means something quite specific here, and to me they're a descendant of rather than being part of it.

As for The Clash, only their first album and the odd 45 thereafter is what I'd call punk.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index