Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Edited Jun 06, 2008, 21:02
Your Eyes are Like a Cup Of Tea
Jun 06, 2008, 21:01
I managed to get hold of the remastered version of Brian Jones presents The Pipes of Pan at Jajouka last week, the one with the changed cover. I think it's out of print but cdconnection still had it.
For me the outstanding track on it is the 11&1/2minute Your Eyes are Like A Cup Of Tea which starts with really reedy sounding pipes over a repetitive/hypnotic beat and keeps a possesed seeming drone going throughout. It is actually pretty psychedelic considering its acoustic non-rock source.

Anybody else familiar with the record?
Stevo
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Re: Your Eyes are Like a Cup Of Tea
Jun 06, 2008, 23:27
I love that record. It was an LSD-listening must with one of my girlfriends during my college daze in the 80s. Since then I've picked up 3 other LPs of vintage Master Musicians of Joujouka recordings (there are some more recent ones I haven't checked out too). All of it is amazing stuff.
Keep an eye out for "Master Musicians of Jajouka" (1974)
and a double LP I found on MHS (Musical Heritage Society, presumably a reissue of another release since that’s what MHS did mostly).
also check out: http://www.joujouka.net/
Five
Five
960 posts

Jun 07, 2008, 00:11
At least one recording of the Master Musicians caused my house to fill with ghosts and a strange light to emanate from the stone circle in the front yard
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jun 07, 2008, 04:14
Nothing to be alarmed about. Its just the AFM musicians union letting you know your fees are due.
Five
Five
960 posts

Jun 07, 2008, 05:46
I'll buy that
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jun 07, 2008, 07:29
How do the other sets compare to the Brian Jones? I'd heard that a lot of tape manipulation had gone on in post production & also thought it was going to have an electronic sheen that I'm not hearing.
Thought Brian had been at the tapes while on certain substances.

Also should amend my earlier description of the track. the same nursery rhyme riff on the horns is mainitained with a little variation throughout the whole track. There is a call and response thing going on as the riff is either played back in full or slight variation.
& the riff sounds like it would make a really good electric guitar riff, so I wonder if anybody's used it?
Stevo
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Jun 07, 2008, 07:59
there's some apparent phasing in the Brian Jones Presents LP at the beginning of the first side but I've always thought that is mostly because the musicians were moving around. I think Brian just pressed "record".

And I've never heard a guitarist attempt that Joujouka riffing but I'd like to hear one give it a go. OR Maybe Manuel Göttsching, Achim Reichel, Richard Pinhas, Michael Rother, Pete Cosey, Glen Tipton, Brian May, David Gilmour, Robert Fripp, Malcom Young, Steve Hillage and Jimmy Page with a bunch of Joujouka drummers and horns backing them up.... might suck, or might be kinda cool.
Five
Five
960 posts

Jun 07, 2008, 16:55
There's at least one line from the middle of the Brian Jones' Jajouka disc that I adapted to electric guitar, not sure I've played it with anyone but it's a gas, ends up sounding (maybe not surprisingly) somewhat like Mali-ian solo guitar stuff
ilovarech
82 posts

Jun 07, 2008, 20:40
Saw them in concert; traditional musicians with Bachir Attar ; ten years ago ... Outside, it was great's living popular music ...

http://metamkine.com/?monceartistes=1&monidart=1855&monlabel=1
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Jun 08, 2008, 08:33
Yeah, i've had it too, some time ago.. I think it's anyway one of the more interesting recordings from them. Even when it was a happening put out for Brian Jones instead of one of their 'real' workouts..
The story behind it is a good one too.. Those Jajoukan's obviously liked Jones, i heard they had his picture up on a wall of some sort of shrine until the 90's at least (i'm not sure if they're living in the place anymore, because of the government politics..?)

And though it contains music by various groups (i think) from the fifties, recorded by Gysin at his cafe, the sub rosa 2cd from Brion Gysin's Archives/ One Night At The 1001 vol.1 has some good stuff in it!
Second cd is recording of his sound poetry piece called Dilaloo..

Anyway Gysin was the one who introduced Jones to Jajouka/Jajouka to Jones..
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index