IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited May 23, 2008, 09:01
Re: Is Nico the John Barnes of Rock?
May 23, 2008, 08:59
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

Still, even genius producers have to eat and he wasn't exactly flavour de jour in the 80s. Correct me if I am wrong but I think Squeeze was his last commercial project as a producer in that era.

Squeeze was late 70's. Apart from producing (most of) their debut LP, he also produced their earlier Packet Of Three ep IIRC. Now that's a great little record (1st record I ever bought without having ever heard the band in question, bought after an article in Sounds iirc).

Featuring some great riffs, there was a definite punk influence to PO3. Nothing of the cheeky chappy pop that came later (not that there's anything wrong with that. I think they made some fab 45's).

His presence is also felt on the first Happy Mondays album. Still love that one...

Thanks, I'm crap on dates. I would have thought Squeeze as an album act were were more 1980 than 1978. The old memory is fucked.

Am just listening to "Save Us" on Helen Of Troy. Sounds just like something from Heaven Up Here. How much did the Bynnymen owe to JC do we think?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index