100 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Is Nico the John Barnes of Rock?
May 23, 2008, 08:37
IanB wrote:

Anyway Cale had a golden run and then seemed to be making records for what he imagined his audience to be rather than for himself. Still, even genius producers have to eat and he wasn't exactly flavour de jour in the 80s. Correct me if I am wrong but I think Squeeze was his last commercial project as a producer in that era.

Squirrel Gman etc the 1st Happy Mondays lp with the long title? & I'm not sure if that was the only production he did at the time. But that would be about 86, so possibly there was a gap I'm not 100% sure of his chronology.

Love at least some of the solo lps. The Island Years 2cd is pretty esssential as far as I can see, Sabotage sounds like it should be up there too. Don't know why i still don't have that, though I do have a couple of live sets from '79. He was doing an interesting twin guitar thing with a pretty hard edge. Would like more, would love video.

As to Nico I like those 3 lps mentioned but did find her covering the Jim Morrison poetic improvisation in The End slightly questionable. I guess it is accepted as being part of the lyrics but I think I had a similar response to it being covered straight comparable to the impetus behind starting this thread (sorry forgot who that was). Would've expected her own improvisation possibly.
Do love Secret Side etc from there. Was the lp remastered for cd at all?
Stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index