Is Nico the John Barnes of Rock?

100 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
naughtynige
naughtynige
778 posts

Re: Is Nico the John Barnes of Rock?
May 22, 2008, 19:43
We're not talking about whether or not people like those particular albums (and of course I entirely agree people like what they like, horses for courses and all that). Keith says in his original post why is she so revered and what did she do after the first Velvets LP? That's what I was responding to. Those 3 albums (Marble Index, Desertshore & The End) are about the most convincing case you could offer. As a body of work they are some of the most compelling and daring pieces of music released under the "popular music" banner in the early to mid 70s. That is why she is so revered, not for a tossed off cover which has a miniscule bearing on her overall recorded output. Ian, I hear what you're saying about John Cale's input and I think you're right. As for his solo career, I've been disappointed at how unsatisfying the albums have been - there is so much pedestrian singer-songwriter guff.
To address some of the other arguments taking place in this thread - for your average Head To Head'er those 3 Nico albums are melodically pretty accessible and this knee-jerk attacking of music which is considered difficult by some really should cease. As should the retaliation against people who don't necessarily like that kind of music. The reason we're all on this forum is surely to rejoice in all forms of great music and to be enlightened about more of the stuff by others. I've noticed some particularly mean streaks creeping in to this forum lately, I fuckin' love a debate but there's no need for insulting people as part of that.
So there.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index