Unsung Forum »
Listen 2 The Doors???

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
coldrumhead
608 posts

Re: Listen 2 The Doors???
Apr 22, 2008, 19:02
They are really overrated.May be familiarity breeds contempt.

Someone posted that the Smiths are really overrated.I don't agree.There has been some real invective posted here about Mozza.I personally lost interest after Vauxhall and I .However,the Smiths were a great band.Saw em live early on.Familiarity not breeding contempt.
joudicca
joudicca
360 posts

Re: Listen 2 The Doors???
Apr 22, 2008, 19:13
thats good if you ever need to.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Re: It's KISS mocking time again
Apr 22, 2008, 21:03
Moon Cat wrote:
And what exactly is 'real' rock n roll?

AC/DC, The Stones, The Stooges, Ramones etc

not some poncey, grooveless crap all wrapped up like a dogs dinner

deal with that
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2008, 21:07
Apr 22, 2008, 21:04
Indeed. Indeed.

Creative angst is often a form of escapism (or psychological tourism) for the audience and even the greatest angsters (and I am partial to some of them) were no strangers to putting on a show of some kind or another - Curtis, Eldritch, Cohen, Cave, Harvey, Cash, Gaye, Walker, Piaf, Holiday, Smith (Bessie not Robert), Brel etc etc.

Self-importance without substance is one thing. Being seriously silly on a grand scale quite another. That's what differentiates DLR from say Jim Kerr and Kiss from Limp whatsits.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Apr 22, 2008, 21:06
shows are fine. if you have the songs to go with em.

nowt wrong with some entertainment along the way

for me, RNR has to have groove, some earthy swing. two things neither Kiss or Van Halen ever possessed

it comes from the gut. not the pages of a comic or fashion mag
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 23, 2008, 06:08
Apr 22, 2008, 21:09
Kiss I can see where you are coming from but I like them for what they stood against in the mid 70s rather than what they stood for. Van Halen's first two records and the boots from the same period swing like nothing else in spandex.
riotmaster
1563 posts

Apr 22, 2008, 21:16
lol
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 22, 2008, 21:21
was reminded of black flag by the couple of turn of the 80s vh boots i've heard
keith a
9565 posts

Apr 22, 2008, 21:40
IanB wrote:

Being seriously silly on a grand scale quite another. That's what differentiates DLR from say Jim Kerr and Kiss from Limp whatsits.

Well that and the fact that Simple Minds made two great albums early on.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 23, 2008, 06:20
Apr 23, 2008, 06:10
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

Being seriously silly on a grand scale quite another. That's what differentiates DLR from say Jim Kerr and Kiss from Limp whatsits.

Well that and the fact that Simple Minds made two great albums early on.

Yes everything up to New Gold Dream (even Life In A Day) was pretty good. "Hunter and the Hunted" is especially glorious. Though when they turned into stadium alt hooligan rock they were the last word in fanfare swathed self-importance. Which is why they sound just right in the context of Sky's football programmes and all that "Super Sunday" hoopla. The perfect soundtrack to a post-pub punch-up.

Some people get wound up by long drum solos and guitar "heroics" I get wound up by certain guitar FX and don't get me started on Fairlights and Roland clave and handclap sounds. I would be glad to never hear another Roy Thomas Baker, Steve Lillywhite or Trevor Horn record. The men who took the rock out of rock.

Anyway I digress.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index