Listen 2 The Doors???

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
chris s
211 posts

Re: Listen 2 The Doors???
Apr 22, 2008, 11:19
Aha!
Yes, tekpop, I think there lies the rub; 'decent' as opposed to 'great' and certainly no better or indeed worse then other contemporary bands - The Electric Prunes, The Chocolate Watch Band, The Left Banke, Millennium, SRC, Kaleidoscope....the third of sixth of this random selection for me kicking yer Doors into a cocked hat, no contest.
Guess it's difficult to separate them musically from the myth, and yes, old Val Kilmer-face was a bit of a lurvebomb; but then in the eyes of many, so was Sam Fox - so whither her career retrospective and Stone biopic?

;)

Chris
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Apr 22, 2008, 11:24
Haven't really listened to them since I was younger (same with the velvets) but like 'the crystal ship' and 'strange days' album. Can't be doing with all that 'horse latitudes' nonsense though.

Doesn't bother me if Morrison or the other chumps in the band were idiots either. Most musicians ARE idiots and pretty thick as well.

8)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2008, 12:28
Re: It's KISS mocking time again
Apr 22, 2008, 12:27
paradox wrote:
I fully understand why you feel like you do because i feel exactly the same about em now!

Me too.

If their critics weren't around to suffer the sheer tedium of the likes of Wings, Supertramp and the Eagles et al in 1974 and 1975 then you wouldn't know how totally (and idiotcally) refreshing Kiss were. I can only assume that people who ran headlong into the arms of Happy Mondays and the like in 1989 and 1990 were doing the same kind of thing.

Have you heard Henry Rollins' routine about going to see Kiss with his band mates? One of the funniest rock n roll spoken word clips out there.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2008, 12:59
Apr 22, 2008, 12:30
riotmaster wrote:

granted i only saw VH with Roth once (84) but it was a flabby, self indulgent borefest. with a solo spot from 3 members in the space of 70 odd minutes. padded out with twiddly fucking solos by EVH and lame raps from Mr Roth

only saw Kiss minus make up which only went to reinforce my view that they have NO songs

if they'd have been from Rotherham rather than NYC no fucker would've given em the time of day

thats my view and i'm sticking to it :-)

fake rock n roll wont save your soul!

You saw VH too late. It was all over by 84. The tours around the first two albums were totally brilliant. Not a bloat in sight. As for Kiss I am with them all the way up to Destroyer then it's just horrible and cynical. Then again I've not liked an Iggy studio record since New Values. Most of the regular meat and potates rock and roll I like is from 78 or prior.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Apr 22, 2008, 13:40
Stevo wrote:

I think the 2 lps most readily dismissed have some really great playing on too. Waiting For The Sun which was a mopping up of material from several points but I think recorded around the same time & Soft Parade which has the added horns and strings. But the band sound pretty good.
I like the harpsichord etc on Soft Parade. it was the first of the recent reissues that I actually went out to buy. Waiting For The Sun turned up in a sale so I grabbed it.
Stevo
Np Magma Poitiers 74 MDK

Indeed - neither of those LPs are disasters, just curate's eggs. I remember reading an interview with John Densmore in which he claimed all the horns and string arrangements on "The Soft Parade" were an attempt on the Doors' part to emulate the sound of Love's "Forever Changes". Sadly though, with a few exceptions like "Touch Me" and "Wishful Sinful" I don't think the Doors quite had the songwriting skills to pull it off.

Hearing Morrison's poetry recited in spoken word form doesn't make it sound the best either, as one listen to "Amerrican Prayer" will testify.
keith a
9565 posts

Apr 22, 2008, 16:57
paradox wrote:
Thats the one Ian.

If a Kiss or Van Halen gig fails to make you smile then i really don't know the answer!

Yeah, but when I want comedy, I go to a comedy club.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 22, 2008, 17:00
up yer flue!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Apr 22, 2008, 17:40
Apr 22, 2008, 17:06
And what exactly is 'real' rock n roll?
You sound like Bob Harris on an ancient Old Grey Whistle Test when he called the New York Dolls 'Mock Rock' thereby giving them a compliment, unbeknowing to him.

Rock n roll has always had a great deal of artifice about it, whether you're KISS or Joy Division or bleedin' Bob Dylan. Have you seen "Hearts of Fire"?!!
jeez and he's a suposed face of 'credibilty' in music. "Real"?

This whole notion that anything that presents a spectacle and is, God forbid, actually fucking entertaining, is 'fake', over the 'realness' of a dour, chin stroking anal-ysis of the human condition, hopefully with a frontman exuding the requisite suffering and 'reeeealness" is, and always has been, toss. There's room for all. Curry OR Ice cream? Why not curry AND Ice Cream. Why not fun AND angst? What's more 'real'? They are all onstage.
They are all performing in some way. And they want you to like them for it too and they are lying if they say otherwise.

Loads of rock in roll is 'fake' More than two takes and you're out. Real, schmeal. Some of it is more honest about being 'fake' though.

Deal with it.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Apr 22, 2008, 18:51
Moon Cat wrote:

And what exactly is 'real' rock n roll?

A pair of shorts, it seems;-)

x
keith a
9565 posts

Apr 22, 2008, 18:56
You can't blame anyone for spawning something musically. That's out of their control.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index