Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 21, 2008, 19:58
Re: Listen 2 The Doors???
Apr 21, 2008, 17:10
chris s wrote:
Apart from The Smiths, I'd have to agree.
Preposterous, self-obsessed, way over-rated tosh that spawned a country swamping plague of blues obsessed provincial pub band nonsense.

Of the late 60s / early 70s acts I thought the Doors tackled the blues thing pretty well. Mixing in some French poetry and a bit of Brecht n Weil.
Which apart from the tight trousers is why Patti Smith would have got off so heavily on Morrison.

Really sets them apart from the likes of Canned Heat et al. Can't really blame them for pub (blues) rock in the UK. I'd lay that at the feet of the likes of Climax Blues Band and Steve Gibbons.

I guess everyone has their blindspots. I feel about The Smiths exactly the same way as you feel about the Doors.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Apr 21, 2008, 17:16
Apr 21, 2008, 17:15
keith a wrote:
First two albums are absolute classics.

Unfortunately, it's become kind of hip to slag them off, and sheep being sheep, they follow.

So Morrison was a twat (or was he? Hands up who actually met the guy???). So what?

I want to listen to his records, not live next door to him.

Hey Keith we agree on something! Rock stars are supposed to be a bit idiotic. It's the mixture of the sublime, the sexual and the downright ludicrous.

God spare us the rock stars who behave as if they are culturally significant! Like the post "So" Peter Gabriel and the laterday Bowie and Byrne. Not to mention Damon from Blur.
Sir John Dunn
Sir John Dunn
530 posts

Apr 21, 2008, 18:17
Ol’ Jimbo’s grave in Pere Lachaise is a Parisian must-see. No poop, Colette, Oscar Wilde-One and Voltaire are h-h-h-hanging around there, too!

I’ll be the spooky miscreant at the gates with the cape. You’ll be yourself.

PASSWORD - “Break On Through To The Other Side”
keith a
9565 posts

Apr 21, 2008, 18:31
IanB wrote:

Hey Keith we agree on something!

I'm sure we agree on lots of things really, Ian! ; )
keith a
9565 posts

Edited Apr 21, 2008, 18:38
Apr 21, 2008, 18:37
IanB wrote:

yet people have the nerve to mock Van Halen and Kiss.

That's cos they're shit, Ian.

Blimey. That agreeing lark didn't last long, did it? ; )
Sir John Dunn
Sir John Dunn
530 posts

Apr 21, 2008, 19:17
[quote="keith a"][quote=)

Blimey. That agreeing lark didn't last long, did it? ; )

/quote]

Rest easy, Keith. Disagreeing with peoploids is the new agreeing with peoploids.

No more big wheels.

So it goes........

Etc, etc etc.......

.....and the world keeps spinning, regardless.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Apr 21, 2008, 19:56
keith a wrote:
IanB wrote:

I'm sure we agree on lots of things really, Ian! ; )

Just not on Dave Lee Roth and Mozza!
Sir John Dunn
Sir John Dunn
530 posts

Apr 21, 2008, 20:21
IanB wrote:
keith a wrote:
[quote="IanB"]

Mozza!

Too right.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 21, 2008, 20:33
Popel Vooje wrote:
[
He did make, or at least participate in, some great records (in addditioon to the first two albums, I'd say "Morrison Hotel and "L.A Woman"), although I think the rest of the band (and Robbie Krieger in particular) probably shaped ther music much more than they're given credit for. I just wouldn't have wanted to have been in a band with him!

Definitely. I think they're pretty exemplary players myself. krieger's flamenco influenced guitar playing, & the jazz influences (among other stuff) on the other 2. Listening to them live you get to hear what they're like. Actually listening to the full length Light My Fire is pretty great.
I think the 2 lps most readily dismissed have some really great playing on too. Waiting For The Sun which was a mopping up of material from several points but I think recorded around the same time & Soft Parade which has the added horns and strings. But the band sound pretty good.
I like the harpsichord etc on Soft Parade. it was the first of the recent reissues that I actually went out to buy. Waiting For The Sun turned up in a sale so I grabbed it. Haven't got around to the others yet. Had pretty recently bought the previous versions though. Wonder if I'm missing much.
Have picked up bits of them live but not that much. A lot of '70 turns up on the torrent sites & quite a few people think that's them playing at their best. I think I prefer the earlier stuff though Riders On The Storm struck me for years as the 'perfect' recording. Just the way the elements dovetailed. & I think that dovetailing aspect is what makes them special, certainly on Light My Fire.
The idea of the improvisatory band that moved as one with the poet as lead singer is the mythos of the Doors isn't it? I think it's true in a large number of places, especially live.
reading MOrrison's poetry without the music doesn't make it look the best.
Stevo
Np Magma Poitiers 74 MDK
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 21, 2008, 20:37
Film took about 10 years to get made. Apparently Ian Astbury had been touted as the star at one point. Back before he became big as far as I recall.
Do wonder what would have happened if it had gone smoothly from the start & appeared years earlier.
Stevo
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index