16 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jul 01, 2008, 16:01
Re: Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue
Jul 01, 2008, 15:50
Davey_B wrote:
I've been disappointed with it. I don't think Pacific Ocean Blue is that great an album. A lot of the songs are pretty lack lustre. The Bambu sessions sound better to me. A couple of real classics in there.

Dave B

Takes all sorts. I've always like "POB" personally - to my ears "What's Wrong" is the only real stinker on there (sounding like generic coke-sozzled Cali boogie-woogie fodder). I don't think it even sounds that much like the Beach Boys, except for the obvious vocal harmonies - Dennis' voice, by this stage, was far more raspy and lived-in than Brian's or Carl's, and I've always liked the poignancy his parched-sounding vocal chords lend to the songs - like Tom Waits meeting the Staple Singers in a head on collision on Venice beach at 4am. Plus the new remastering is far better than the early 90s CD on Epic (which always sounded way too muddy and indistinct for my liking).

Played the "Bambu" disc for the first time this morning - having never heard the boots, I yearn for what it might have sounded like had it been completed - although even listening to the fragments is no chore.

Although this may just be fanboy conjecture, it's rumoured that the whole package is about to be pulled from the shelves yet again owing to an allegedly litigious extract from the sleeve notes, so anyone who's curious should maybe snap it up now just in case. You read it here first...

http://s3.excoboard.com/exco/thread.php?forumid=29211&threadid=406052&page=4

Unsung Forum Index