Unsung Forum »
Wire dates

22 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9570 posts

Manchester
May 06, 2008, 14:06
Got there early, and heard a quick snatch of the soundcheck as I went to collect my tickets. I then made my way to the nearby Contact Theatre for 'Wire In Converation', an interview with John Robb which veered from the interesting to the cringe-worthy. Robb was clearly determined to talk about Pink Flag and very little else, and Graham didn't exactly agree with all his views. Graham and Colin talked quite a lot. Robert answered one, but was clearly uneasy. I really don't think Robb made a very good job of the interview TBH.

As for the gig...Pretty much the same set as Leuven the other night. The sound on the opening new number (Circumspect?) was pretty dire, for those of us down the front at least, and had me fearing the worst. The situation was quickly remedied though and the second number Our Time was much better. And by Mr Marx's Table - which hadn't really done it for me the other night - they were away. Great version tonight!

Unlike the other night when they had ended with a new number IIRC, they ended tonight with an absolute barnstorming version of I Don't Understand. Same encores as Leuven - Boiling Boy / The 15th / 12XU followed by Lowdown / 106. and ending with a pretty awesome rendition of Pink Flag, with Graham continuing yelling after it finished.

The new material is already starting to register, and Margaret has settled in well. Indeed I thought the band seemed tighter tonight all-round, which is obviously understandable after a few nights gigging. It may be my imagination but Graham seemed to be enjoying it more tonight, too.

My mates enjoyed it, too. One's not into Wire, so I wasn't sure if he would, whilst my other mate (who was a big fan of the old stuff but didn't get Send), really enjoyed the new one which features Colin & Graham on joint vocs on the chorus (very catchy it is too - it's lodged in my mind already). He also thought Agfers sounded 'Krautrock', and I guess it did.

And that's about it other than to inform the more fashion conscious amongst you that Graham wore a very nice black woolly hat with a white star on it! ; )

Unsung Forum Index