The pop of today

97 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1701 posts

Re: The pop of today
Feb 26, 2008, 13:57
They seem like a thoroughly obnoxious bunch of individuals, but 'Biology' by Girls Aloud was breathtaking, classic pop. They've got a lot of other great songs, but that's their finest moment to date.

Kylie: 'Can't Get You out of my Head' was motorik glam genius, and she pretty consistently comes up with the goods. Her last one sounded like Madonna's 'Holiday' remixed by Daft Punk.

Sugababes: 'Freak like Me' and 'Push the Button'.

Gwen Stefani, Goldfrapp, Hot Chip, The Rapture and LCD Soundsystem are all excellent. On the indie side I love The Horrors, and actually quite like The Kaiser Chiefs. Props too for Franz Ferdinand, The Klaxons, The Young Knives...

Luke Haines' 'Off My Rocker at the Art School Bop' single and album were classic pop- Richard X even remixed the former- but nobody bought them and they never got played on the radio.

There's a new band called The Indelicates who make great subversive melodic pop-rock, but whether they'll get anywhere is another matter.

I love pop music, often more so than rock actually. There's always good stuff around, but I miss the likes of the early Human League or Pet Shop Boys, Adam Ant, Pulp, Scritti Politti or even the KLF- writer-performers who loved disposable mainstream pop but were a bit clever and arty and subversive with it, too.

Robyn sounds good, but I haven't actually heard her.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index